Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ava77_gw

Dragon Wing Begonia Care

Ava77
19 years ago

Hello all...I have a Dragon Wing Begonia and it has little leggy green blooming parts on top of the massive trunks... it is indoors near a sunny east window...I have no idea how to care for this massive gorgous beauty...I have indoors capabilities only...should I clip all the green leggy parts with flowers...it is not quite blooming right now...just a few blooms from last year...I water only when she is dry...probably once a month...her trunks are thick and red...very massive...I didn't know if I should clip her tips clean all the way around (dead-head) to encourage reblooming...I have been fertilizing with Shultz Orchid fert and a little epsom salts...any other care tips would be appreciated...I got her last fall at Kmart for $3...thanks everyone...

Comments (2)

• haneedes
    19 years ago

I have the same issue. Mine is 1 year old, it bloomed last summer and fall and then the leaves dropped. I only have leaves at the very end. The stems are woody and the plant is leggy.

Its an Begonia Orange Rubra, which is an angel wing.

Its in a south facing window, but the light is filtered by a shade. I only water when its dry. It has not been well fed all winter. I just started feeding it with algoflash.

Anyway, I spoke to a horticulturist and he said that if I look carefully, I should soon see buds on the stems where new leaves will grow. Sure enough, on the stem there are little points. He told me to keep feeding it and it will be nice and lush. Once growing starts, I can prune it to get a nice shape.

Also, as an experiment, I snipped one of the stems just above the first joint. I took the stem and put it in some soil to see if it roots. I thinks its working. But my original plant looks even worse.

I read elsewhere that its ok to prune these to the roots. I am too scared to try it.

Also, I was told to make sure that the roots are not rotten.

My plant is truly pathetic looking right now. Here is a pic. http://haneedesigns.net/tempics/begonia.jpg

Best to you

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:431322}}

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

This is something that doesn't seem to come up very often, but in nature begonias tend to root in the leaf-mold and detritus and don't make deep roots. Therefore, or so I was told when I was starting out, it was best to grow them in shallow pots, not the standard type you have in your picture. (Your begonia doesn't look bad at all for the time of year, incidentally. It will be taking off any day now.) Since it's in a clay pot you're not in as much danger of root-rot with all that soil in the bottom of the pot being soggy since there are no roots down there probably, but when you re-pot it you might consider getting it a pot that's shorter in proportion to its width. With both your plant and the Dragon Wing in the previous post, you can cut it back nearly to the ground, but I would wait until you can see new growth at the soil level. Don't cut it too close to the new growth--maybe half an inch or a little less. I'd have to stick the cuttings in pots too--can't bear to throw them away unless they look a lot worse than the ones in the picture! You can put several in one pot, or give each a pot for friends. I think Dragon Wing roots easily too, tho' I haven't grown it in a few years and don't remember. I also think you both might consider watering a bit more often, especially now that spring is just around the corner.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living