Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiki16

begonia prob

tiki16
19 years ago

Hello, I bought this begonia in the fall (think it's a rex) and it has been healthy up until the last month. I've noticed that alot of leaves are wilted and drooping.

Not sure what i did if i did anything. The plant is in a south facing window and the temp is around 65 degrees f. I am including a pic. I was planning on splitting it in the spring into two plants. Any suggestions what may be wrong?

thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:431334}}

Comments (5)

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Make sure the rootball is getting wet. It looks underwatered to me. But, unfortunately, overwatering can produce the same symptoms :-(

Did this happen overnight or slowly? Have you taken it out of the pot to check the roots to see if they're healthy? Have you set it down in a bowl of warm water to see if it absorbs any?

It's possible the rootball may have hardened and even though you continue to water from the top, the roots aren't able to absorb.

I have had luck using a meat fork (the kind with just two tines) to poke holes around a plant to loosen up the soil. Then I set the plant in a bowl of tepid water to rehydrate the soil.

Good luck and keep us posted (pun intended!)

Linda

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Also, the pot is way too deep. Rhizo begonias prefer shallow pots. Mine are either in 4.5" x 3" deep or 6" x 4.5" deep pots. The plant below, 'Pink Diamonds' is in a 6" x 4.5" pot I ordered online from Novosel Enterprises.
    Linda

{{gwi:431335}}

• hc mcdole
    19 years ago

I'm just guessing but I have a feeling it is overwatered. If it is soaking wet, I would pull the plant out to let it dry out. More plants (begonias) have been killed by overwatering. Make sure the soil mix is fast draining. Lots of perlite helps.

If it is dry then Linda is giving you good advice.

Deep pots are okay if you don't overwater, else I would go with a shallow one since it is harder to keep wet. The nice thing about deep pots or larger pots is it gives the plant room to grow to its potential, but you have to pay attention to the watering.

Butch

• tiki16
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I watered it and the water ran out the bottem holes. The water was re-absorbed. I've tried not to water it too much over the winter and it could be underwatered. Its been like this for about a month now and i have wtered it a few times. Surprisingly the leaves and branches havn't died, just drooped downward.

How long does it take affect for the water to help the plant? What type of fertilise should I use and how often? Alos if I'm planning on splitting the plant will this have any effect on its health?
    thanks

• stonesriver
    19 years ago

Hi, Tiki:
    If you set your begonia in water and it absorbed it, then it was most likely dry. Plants can be dry even if, when you top water, the water runs through the pot. This is because the roots aren't getting a drink; just the surrounding soil.

I had a begonia get really thirsty just today and it perked back up within five or ten minutes of sitting in the water.

I fertilize with half-strength Dyna-Gro. I've never divided rhizos. I just put them in bigger pots. :-) Someday my husband will walk into my office and be unable to find me!

Here's B. 'Purple Snow' which has a more "drooping" growth. It's not thirsty. When it is, the middle stems flop over too.
    Linda

{{gwi:431336}}