Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of begonias

Posted by squalluto none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 12:52

Hi! I have several begonias in our garden. I am hoping that you guys could help me identify some or all of them. Thanks! I'll post some of their pics...I'll post some more later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of begonias

This one has dark green leaves and redish underneath. The flowers are dark pink.

o

A rhizomatous begonia with light-green leaves with dark green vein-like markings.

o

Reddish-copper leaves rhizomatous.

o

serrated leaves. angel wing type. some leaves have white spots and the flowers are orange. Have a feeling that this is B.Orange Rubra...but am not really sure about it.

o

Rhizomatous begonia type.

o

This is a lily-pad begonia...but it might have a more specific name.

o

a star-like leafed begonia. rhizomatous.

o

leaves are serrated, dark green with tiny white spots. angel wing type. flowers are light yellow to light green.

o

I will have to search for the photos of my other begonias...or I'll just take new photos and post them in the future.

o

Beautiful photos, you can be proud of a collection like that. If you find the name of the variegated one I would like to know its name, I've not seen one like that. My 'Orange Rubra' hasn't leaves as serrated as yours, but the shape is similar. It is classified as 'low growing' which means it gets to about two feet, and there is often a white mark at the tip of the leaves supposedly showing the influence of B. dichroa, the parent. However, there are several orange- flowered canes listed in the Thompson book, and many may no longer be in cultivation, and few ways to tell the differences.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here