Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pendula pink/rose

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 14:24

I just bought 2 of these bulbs at a nursery with plans to put them in a hanging planter this spring. The package said they were good for hanging baskets but it also says they get 12" tall. I do have a spot picked out for them already. I would like to start them early inside, in the planter. How soon should I plant them? I'm thinking now would be good but I don't know how fast they will grow. The instructions say to plant 3" deep. Does that sound right? Any advice? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pendula pink/rose

Got this link from the web.

http://www.gardenguides.com/119-starting-tuberous-begonias-off-right.html

Remember to plant the concave side up. 3 inches is about right. You can start them inside if you have a nice sunny spot. They do grow big and quite fast. Now is probably a good time to start in Ontario. It's always iffy with the weather here. Last frost date is around May 24, but I usually have my plants out weeks before that. Your begonias will have a good head start if you plant them now.

o
RE: Pendula pink/rose

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 8:36

Thanks for the link mikey33. I planted them up right after I bought them. The 'tuber' that was in the pkg looks more like a large gladioli corm except that it is about 1/2" thick. I did plant as suggested and now I'm just wating for signs of growth. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here