Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help, please

Posted by mkmullis GA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 14:37

I am not very good with plants, but I am trying. If anyone knows the answer to this, please help. I am planting dark leaf begonias around the tree in my front yard. I live in Georgia, so we have that thick red Georgia clay. Do begonias like that? Or do I need to dig it out and replace it with potting soil. I've heard the clay is acidic. Thanks for any help you may be able to give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help, please

• Posted by bmchan z5 central MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 21:21

Go here:

I suspect they will rot in the moist clay soil. I only grow them in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike Stevens page:

o

Thats what I thought, though I was hoping otherwise. I planted them today in enriched soil, so hopefully they will do well. This is my first attempt at begonias, so I'm a little clueless. Thanks for the reply.

o

HI all,
I went to Mike Stevens page and found that R. Begonias don't flower? Is this right? I was just given two with different colored leaves. I had asked my friend why the first one was not getting flowers and she thought maybe it needed to be older. You see it was a cutting from hers. I do love the leaves but I was so hoping for flowers. Now the 2nd R.Begonia she gave me had different leaves that aren't varigated and she said hers had flowers on it. Maybe it's not a true Rex?
Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Georgia

o

Sure rexes have flowers but they are grown for their foilage primarily. Most rexes bloom in late summer or the fall but there are always exceptions.

Here is a picture of Mr. Kartuz in bloom from last summer.

o

The begonias like very loose soil. You would need to combine Peatmoss, vermiculite and perlite in order to prepare the bed to plant begonias.

o

Thanks so much about my flowering question. Yours is beautiful!
Georgia

o

Thanks Khushabi! I appreciate it. They are doing alright in the enriched soil, but I think they would do better in the combination you suggested. I'm contemplating taking them up and replanting them with what you said to use. Surely this early in the season, it would be beneficial to them I would think.

Thanks again for the response.

o

If you are looking for the flowering kind, you may be thinking of tuberous begonias. Sure, some of the foliage begonias flower, too, but the large showy flowers you get with tuberous begonias.

I have attached a link to be begonia growing article below.

Also see these picture of some of my tuberous begonias. If you can't see them on the email, go back to the gardenweb begonias forum and look at your original post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tuberous begonias - article link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here