Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Back Begonias

Posted by countrygrl 5 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 14:49

Hello! I have a begonia that I brought inside last fall, and it has been sitting in a window with western exposure. It is doing beautifully, blooming it's little heart out, but it is about 10" tall, and I would like to cut it back. Can I do that? Will it encourage new growth at the base? Thank you for any help! Oh, and this is just one of the begonias you buy in the summer, not one of the "special" varieties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Back Begonias

You can cut most begonias back but it would be nice to know which one you are talking about. If you prune it back too hard it might kill it but if you take say half of it then it should be fine. Propagate the pruned tops if you want to have some for backup or give away.

o
RE: Cutting Back Begonias

I take it you took indoors an annual 'wax begonia'...not a tuberous variety.
I know they are kept going as long as they can, somewhat like the impatiens, and sooner or later when the low sun of winter doesn't support them well enough, they wither and die.
You brought yours along and the lankiness suggests they did not receive adequate light.

So now what to do. Cut them back to soil level and give them new potting soil in a clean pot and give them a good window --south or west or east--and let them come along.

But since they are annuals, and they cost so little, maybe you would rather buy new plants and trust they do for your garden what the old might not do again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here