Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmemer

Is this insane to consider?

nmemer
17 years ago

I'm getting married in Wisconsin in August (8/18/07). My fiance and I love to garden (not that we're necessarily good at it yet). We're tossing around ideas for centerpieces that would tie in w/ a garden theme AND save us $$ over elaborate floral arrangements, yet still look elegant. One of the ideas is to use pots of tuberous begonias on about a dozen of the tables (other perennial plants might look too "country casual"). Would it be insane to try growing pots of tuberous begonias for some of the centerpieces? On August 18 in Wisconsin, how are they likely to look? Do they have a lot of blooms, or really just a few/none at times? Will they be straggly by August 18? How large? Any specific varieties that you would recommend for being right size for a potted plant centerpiece? How risky are they in terms of insect pests? Another idea, if this has any potential, would be to see if we could get blooming ones directly from a garden center in mid-August. Thanks for any advice you are willing to offer on this idea.

Comments (3)

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

It wouldn't be insane to try growing pots of tuberous begonias but it might make you insane or put undue stress on you by fretting over them. You could try it but you should have a backup plan in place - maybe if they don't look too good a couple of weeks before the big day, you should contact your florist to see if they can help you out.

If you get the bulbs now in the colors you want and cater to them until the event, they might surprise you. They can also take a nose dive as well. eBay has some good looking ones for sale now as well as garden catalogs and local nurseries should be gearing up.

I don't know much about Wisconsin other than my sister and her family lived there for about 5 years and enjoyed it.

I'm not a tuberous grower but the ones I've seen (and grown) seem to bloom in flushes (lots of blooms at one time, then a few here and there, and then bloom heavy again). Non-stop begonias are supposed to bloom all the time but the blooms are smaller. Insect problems are minimal with begonias but you should still keep an eye on them to keep problems at bay. The worst problem is sudden collapse either from drying out or too much water.

You could probably get blooming ones from a garden center but spring is the best time to buy - I'm not sure if they would be available in August for your area. When my sister lived in North Dakota and we visited in August it seemed all the garden centers were closed for the year (ugh - I don't think I could handle that).

• barbcoleus
    17 years ago

I think I would work backwards and see what's in bloom in August and is plentiful. I wanted orange blossoms at my wedding in June and of course orange blossoms are spring time bloomers so that didn't work out.
    I made the centerpieces for my daughters wedding and although the guests were civilized, everyone took the baskets like they were hotcakes. Believe me I'm not that good at floral design. So if you planned on using these plants in your garden, you might want to rethink that.
    Congratulations and I hope your wedding is everything you dreamed.
    Barb

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Maybe not insane, but risky-I would talk to your local garden center & see what they could get you at that time, that you could plant in your garden afterwards or give to your guests to plant. We were married in Oct., in Charleston, went to a garden center, bought lots of lavender crysanthemums (not my favorite plant), plopped them in containers & told everyone to take what they liked afterwards-this was a 'destination' wedding, we lived about 3 hours away, as did most of our guests. It turned out great, remember, as much as you love plants, this is just a small part of your wedding-don't stress over it-figure out what's going to be easy...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!