Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini culture

Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 15:40

Hi; I have a few mini Begonias -- B. partita, B. Peridot, B. Tiger Princess, and B. Nigra-something (label dissolved, I'll look it up).

The Peridot is filling up a 4" pot, the rest in various pots. They look healthy but I've seen no blooms on anything. I use my AV mix, (1 part coconut coir, 1 part perlite, and 1 part vermiculite, with some hort. charcoal for chuckles) and they seem to like it; admittedly I feed them irregularly and probably too weakly. I keep all but the partita under fluorescents with my AVs (on the edges).

I'm confused about my partita; should the leaves be green or red? If they're green, it looks etiolated, and if they're red, they tend to look stressed and die. !!???

Any suggestions to make them happier? How snug in the pots should they be? How and how often should I feed them?

Thanks for any help.

Korina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini culture

hi korina,

B. partita should have green leaves and there may be a reddish area by the petiole. also, there is an elongated lobe on the leaf. a lot of people grow this plant as a bonsai, and it will eventually develop a caudex if you keep it constrained. how do you have it growing? i would give this one a space under your fluorescents, too!

as for B. bowerae nigramarga and probably 'Tiger Kitten,' i think anything with bowerae in it is pretty hardy and easy to grow. sounds like you have them in a good situation. i haven't grown 'Peridot,' so i don't have too many tips there. i weakly fertilize mine, too, but held off during the winter and my move. when i started up again, they seemed to really respond. i wouldn't worry about the lack of blooms as long as the rest of the plant seems happy.

-ming

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 12:37

Hi Ming! Thanks for the help. Partita is in a window that gets some mostly direct sun during part of the year. It has a wonderful caudex and looks spectacular in it's rectangular clay bonsai pot. So the growth is supposed to be a bit 'rangy'? I'd kind of hoped it'd be more compact. It's still pretty nifty. I'd love to put it under lights, but they're all full up. Not only the AVs, other houseplants, and other begonias, but some orchids too. Time to re-evaluate my space again, I think.

Again, thanks for your response.

Korina

'Cheeeeese!' -Wallace

o

• Posted by korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 4, 06 at 18:23

Umm, Ming, would you perhaps be interested in some Peridot? It's very cute and easy. Heck, if I can grow it, *anyone* can.

Korina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here