Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia newbie

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 15:41

Hi, I live in the cold tundra of Minnesota, with no green house. Thus I let my tuberouse begonia die back last fall. I put them, pot and all into my cool dark basement, and just left them alone all winter. No water, no light etc.

I am so excited! Today when down there I noticed one of them has started growing, just peaking out of the soil.

Is this a sign I need to bring it up and put it into a nice sunny window? What about the rest of them, should I start watering them and bring them up too?

Thank you
Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia newbie

Hi Jenny,

It is probably too early in your climate to move them outside, but if you have space you certainly can start watering and giving them indoor light. If you need to wait, they should be fine in your basement for up to a month longer. They will probaly begin to show sprouting but the leaves will not develop until they get more light.

o
RE: Begonia newbie

Thank you, yes it is certainly to cold outside! I would not even think of putting them out until Mid to late May. But I do have a nice big south facing window I could put them in.

Jenny P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here