Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stonesriver_gw

Begonias, Soilless Mix and Fertilizer

stonesriver
19 years ago

I can't decide if what I'm doing is long-term okay:

I use a soilless mix for my 6" pots and under.

Since this mix has none, is it okay half-strength fertilize my rexes and rhizos each time I water?

I let me begonias semi-dry like I've been told. I know not to fertilize a dry plant so I've been rehydrating with plain water and then running fertilized water through them before they go back on the saucers.

I haven't had any problems so I assume this is okay? They've been blooming and growing all winter but I don't want to do something that is short-term great but long-term not-so-great.

Also, I repot the AVs and episcias twice a year. Should I do twice a year with the begonias or is once a year okay?

Thanks!

Linda

Comments (5)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Hmm, good questions. My begonias in small--6 in. and under--pots in the house get fed every time I water them. Since the fertilizer is dissolved in the water I just water them without the pre-sip of plain water, tho' that might be a better idea. I've read to do it both ways. If I used a dry fertilizer I'd definitely water first. I'll tell you a secret if you don't tell anyone else--I wick a lot of the begonias in the house, even including rexes. I'm pretty good at under-watering so the reservoirs go dry, sometimes longer than I intended, and I add a lot of perlite to my mix. Outside I'm more inclined to throw a handful of slow-release fertilizer on them when I think of it. And if they're in the ground I keep them mulched with leaf-mold and such to help feed them. Sometimes with the tougher ones that may be all they get and they seem to love it. I think re-potting once a year is probably sufficient, and some of mine haven't gotten even that the last few years. They do appreciate fresh soil and pruning every so often though. And getting re-settled in the pot when they're trying to climb out. When I'm a little more in control of my time, guess I re-pot when they look like they need it. That's helpful, huh?

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    19 years ago

"That's helpful, huh?"

Yep :-) I sort of repot the same way. Thanks for the validation of my begonia treatment. They are healthy and beautiful.

Linda

• kdjoergensen
    19 years ago

Your fertilizing procedures are correct. Run clear water first if they are semi dry before using fertilizer. If you use soluble fertilizer (in water) then you do not need to run clear water first (only if you topdress with pellets). However, if planting mix has coated fertilizer pellets do not allow it to dry completely.

Repotting sounds good.

• PurpleEggplant
    19 years ago

Linda, I think you're the women I met in Lowe's last week and we discussed begonias. :-) Remember me? All those I was trying to root did root and are doing well.

As for fertilizing your begonias. I barely fertilize mine over the winter. Now is the time of year I start with a weak fertilizer solution. They thrive.

PurpleEggplant from TN

• stonesriver
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi! Yep, 'tis I. You should have seen the wonderful, huge self-heading burgandy and green philodendron in an 8- or 10-inch pot for $16.00 at Home Depot in Murfreesboro. I bought a beautiful dwarf pygmy palm for $11.00 and am going back for a philo.

Your email isn't listed so, if you want, go to "My Page" and send me an email. We'll keep in touch and maybe trade begonias or you can come to our African Violet Club meetings in Mt. Juliet.

Welcome to the GardenWeb Forums. There are an awfully lot of nice people here.

Linda

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County