Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat_lia

Angel Wing Pink Peach Blossom or Dragon Wing

nat_lia
15 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie to Begonia and need some advise on how to care for these plants. I've just bought these Begonia (Angle Wing? Dragon Wing? or Angel Wing Peach Pink Blossom??) in one pot for only $2 yesterday. The lady who sold me this Begonia only told me that they are Angel Wing and Cascading Begonia (the one with pink flowers).

What kind of Begonia I have and how to care for them?

What kind of soil (mix) -fertilizer to use?

Do they need only indirect sun?

How to propagate and make them grow bushier? as the Begonia that has pink flowers and green leaves with no dots only grow to one side (one left and one right: I have 2). I live in apartment and can only grow them indoor as house plants. Thank you for any input and advise.

{{gwi:431548}}

{{gwi:431549}}

{{gwi:431550}}

Comments (6)

• nat_lia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are the pics, please help me to ID these plants.
    I need to know so I can give them a good care.
    Thank you.

{{gwi:431550}}

{{gwi:431549}}

{{gwi:431548}}

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

These are cane begonias (commonly called angel wing begonias - Not Angle). The spotted one is probably B. 'Corallina de Lucerna' but most call it Lucerna. The other plain green one is probably B. coccinea - a species.

Any good potting mix will do but you should look for a mix that will drain fast so you might want to add perlite to your mix.

They are very easy to propagate - simply cut the top out to include 3 nodes (rooting occurs at a node) and water root or stick in a good potting mix and keep slightly moist (not overly wet). Perlite is an excellent rooting medium too. Cut off all the leaves except the top two or three leaves. Pruning the tops will also help encourage new shoots to develop at the roots of the mother plant.

Feed with slow release and/or a weak (1/2 of recommended) water soluble fertilizer every week while actively growing. Bright light will help them attain the best growth and bloom detail.

Here is a website that can help you get started:

Brad's Begonias

• nat_lia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for helping me identify the Begonia.
    But I still have some question...I hope you don't mind.

@ When I have cutting already and going to stick it in a potting mix+perlite or perlite only?, Do I need to water and cover the pot with plastic to create "greenhouse" effect?

@ I bought Miracle-Gro Liquid Houseplant Food 8-7-6.
    Can I use this for fertilizing Begonia? Are plant food and fertilizer the same? Any suggestion what fertilizer should I use?

Thank you for your help :)

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

It really doesn't matter which medium you use - potting mix alone, potting mix + perlite, or perlite alone. Perlite alone is probably most sterile and might be your best bet to develop roots. After that you can move it to potting mix alone or a mix of potting mix and perlite.

Plastic tenting is good for keeping humidity high but not really necessary for cane begonias in my opinion. If the cutting is wilted then a plastic cover should help perk it up. Just watch out for mold development and rotted leaves and stems.

Yes you can use that fertilizer for your begonia. Plant food and fertilizer are the same thing. Either use slow release (such as Osmocote or a similar product) and/or water soluble fertilizer at a lower dosage than the recommended amount by the manufacturer (1/2 to 1/3 strength should be good). A good recommendation from some experts is to buy whatever is on sale or the cheapest.

• nat_lia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hcmcdole,

Thanks for your help. I've found step by step instruction on how to do stem-leaf cutting begonia in this forum. I'll do later after my begonia grow bit bigger. I want to add-get some more begonias, especially those that are great to grow indoor. Do you have any suggestions what begonias and where to get them?(leaf, stem or rhizome cuttings would be fine or small begonia to start with?) Some of my wanted list:
    Begonia Kristy
    Begonia Snow Capped
    Begonia Beefsteak
    Begonia Maculata (Polka Dot)
    Begonia Rex Stained Glass
    Begonia Kismet and more...
    I fell in love with Begonias. I've tried to go to Walmart but they don't have any begonias. Ebay seller would probably be little more expensive plus shipping cost.I'll try Home Depot today or tomorrow. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

• hc mcdole
    15 years ago

Bougie,

There are plenty of places to get most of the ones you list above. Some you might find locally - check from spring until fall at local nurseries (especially the ones that carry begonias) and the big box stores - you never know if and when a shipment might come in with a few begonias. I've picked begonias up at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe's. My local Ace Hardware was one of the best places I ever picked up begonias but they went out of business twice now (different owners).

I cited several mail order places in another thread on this forum. My recent purchases were from Accents for Home and Garden, Taylor Greenhouses, and Logees. Prices vary but if only one vendor carries the plant you want then you can either pass it by or pay up. Most plants will be on the small side when buying mail order so treat your new plants like babies when you get them until they get some size on them.

Come to a convention if you can manage. It is an expensive way to get plants when you add in transportation, lodging, meals, registration but it can be fun and you will have a ton of begonias to choose from at very reasonable prices (cheap prices really). This year's convention is at the end of this month and is in West Palm Beach, FL. It sounds like there will be over 100 different varieties to choose from plus one trip is to Palm Hammock Orchid Estates which is a regular smorgasbord for begonias.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths