Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough winter for b. coccinea Sinbad

Posted by badzoe PA6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 16:18

My b. coccinea Sinbad lost some of its lower leaves this winter. Should I cut it back and by how much? Or should I leave it alone?

Thanks.

Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough winter for b. coccinea Sinbad

It should come back out once the weather improves. Mine has no leaves and self prunes some of the stems but I had one last year that did worse than this one and came out nice last summer (I gave the older one to my daughter).

I wouldn't prune it too hard to begin with but you should be able to prune it back by half. You should be able to start some new ones with your cuttings as well.

Here was mine last summer in an 18" pot. The red flowered one on the left is 'Torch' (no leaves showing), 'Chocolate' is cascading over, the pink colored one on the right is richmondensis, and 'Maribel Pink Shades' is the bronzy leaf one in the front.

o

Your photo is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

When do you think that I should cut my plant back?

Kristi

o

If it is actively growing, then it should be safe to cut it back. If it has leaves, it may be okay to cut it as well. If it is leafless, I'd wait until it starts putting out again. I would not cut it to the ground except for obvious dead stems.

o

Thanks so much for the advice!

Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here