Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patsi_gw

Not Germinating !! Waiting to be Dazzled

patsi
17 years ago

Hello,

I'm having problems getting any of my Begonias to Germinate.

It's been 20 DAYS !!!

Is there a trick I don't know about?

I start all my flower seeds indoors every March and I have no problem except with theseBegonias.

I will write Parks to get replacement seeds but I don't want a repeat problem.

Any Help?

Thanks,

Patsi

Here is a link that might be useful: same like as above

Comments (8)

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Patsi,

I assume you sterilized the soil, pre-moistened it, sowed the seed on the surface without covering it, put a clear cover over the container, and have them under lights. If you have done all this then you can give it a couple more weeks (some seed is very slow to germinate). Six weeks should be ample time but I've heard stories where seed has sat there for several months and then germinated. I don't think it should take that long though.

The one thing I have seen growing such tiny seed is the older the seed is, the worse results you will get. The one example I can point to is gloxinia seed - the stuff I ordered was very poor germinating (a handful might have come up) while some seed I harvested myself was like a carpet because I think every little dust like seed must've germinated. My conclusion was the freshness of the seed makes all the difference.

• patsi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear hcmcdole,

I have already germinated 220 flower seeds this year alone of many varieties but never begonias. Do I understand you to say they need light to germinate?
    And it also it takes at least 42 days?
    Is this normal for most begonias?

Thanks so much,

Patsi

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

Hi Patsi,

That is correct. They need light to germinate - DO NOT COVER with soil. It may take six weeks or longer. What does the package say?

Try this link for a good idea on growing begonias from seed.

Growing from seed

I sowed some seed I harvested recently and it has been at least 4 weeks. I now have 3 or 4 seed up from what I sowed. That was from 'Deco Twirl'. The seed from rajah have not germinated but may never do so now that I knocked the pot over.

I also surface sowed some cane seed in a big pot and they are slowly coming along. It has been 2 to 3 months to get them to the size of a pea.

Here is a picture of them.

{{gwi:431555}}

• patsi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. In the link you provided the person says it takes 4 to 8 days to germinate begonias... a far cry from what I'm hearing at this forum.

I will try again putting them under my lights and keep a close eye on them.

Funny, some seeds of other varieties I bought in past years did not all germinate but one's I've saved no matter how old(saved in little 2 inch zip lock bags)all germinate. But some times you want something different so you have to pay the price and then save your own seeds.

Thanks again,

Patsi

• hc mcdole
    17 years ago

I would think 4 to 8 days is for fresh seed. As for old seed, it could take longer, it could come right up, or it may just be dead.

You may just need to start over again but the easiest thing to do is buy bulbs and save the hassle. Then collect seed (if you feel up to it) from mature seed pods and sow right away. I think you might be amazed.

Some seed need a cold spell (stratification) to break dormancy (something to do with inhibitors since seed in the wild wouldn't germinate in winter) and others might need their seed coats nicked, scratched, roughed up (scarification) to get rid of inhibitors. So some of your old seed might have needed a cool spell or dry spell or some extra time (who knows). The best thing is to see what the experts say on the best method for difficult seed. I've heard of seed that has sat in soil for a couple of years or longer before germinating (that is much too long for me). After 3 months I usually throw it out and cuss the vendor.

I planted several rows of flowering annuals a couple of weeks ago and most of it is up. Now I just hope a frost doesn't kill them since we are expected to get down to low 30's this weekend for our lows.

• patsi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep, I tried most methods. I won't sow in the fridge though, I rather winter sow.

Good luck with your seedlings outside. We're suppose to have snow in the next few days so I'm waiting a few weeks for any direct sowing.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    17 years ago

I've had good luck this year and last using sanitized plastic containers, seed starting mix moistened with boiling water to sanitize (and waiting to sow til the temperature got back down to 70, using a soil thermometer), surface sow, covering with plastic to keep moist, and using a heat mat set at 72. Prior to germination they just got room light (easier for me to keep an eye on them). Once germinated, they went under fluorescent lights a few inches away. This year mine started to germinate at 9 days (seeds from B&L), although you practically needed a magnifying glass to see them at that point. I watered with sterile water until they had the first true leaf. I transplanted them about 4 weeks after germination. I started them 12/31, and two dozen are now in the ground in the garden and looking good, leaves a few inches long (I live in San Diego so I can put them outside earlier than you).

These are the only seeds I sow that get such special treatment, but I love begonias.

Good luck
    Ruth

• sufferingseeds
    17 years ago

Try saltpeter solution: 1/2 tsp per litre of water and soak for awhile. Works on most seeds that you can't use GA-3 acid on. Humic acid soaks apparently work too. There are GA-3 pre-mixed solutions on some website as well, otherwise it can be tricky to use.