Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Angel Wing Begonia browning and withering

Posted by dragonlilly east texas (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 17:28

I was fostering a friends plants for the winter in my greenhouse. One of the plants is this angel wing begonia... and I can't seem to get it to do anything but turn brown and wither up at the ends. I've researched all over the net only to finda inconsistant care instaqqructions. They need moist soil, they don't need moist soil, they need bright light, they don't like bright light. Im hoping someone can take a look at the photo and tell me what im doing wrong before its too late.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Angel Wing Begonia browning and withering

It looks pretty close to death now but it may still be salvageable. First thing is a new pot, one that is a lot smaller like 4 inch if not smaller. Hopefully the roots aren't totally gone. Knock off the majority of the old soil and spray anything else off. Use a quality potting soil. Water in and don't water again until it dries some. Hopefully it will respond with the longer days and warmth.

If the roots are gone then you will have to determine if the stem is still viable enough for cutting. From the picture it only looks like the wayward branch is all you have to work with for a cutting and it looks doubtful.

o

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Do you think I over watered it? Maybe it got too hot? Can you tell? There os another angel wing begonia in my greenhouse that is thriving. I treated them equally.

o

I don't have enough information to say what went wrong but I have a feeling the pot was too big and it got overwatered. Did it wilt and you watered it in response? If so, then you might've drowned it (I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago).

If there was no sunburned leaves then I'd say it didn't get too hot. If it wilted during the hot time of the day then it is natural to wilt but if watered within a day (or so) it should perk right back up.

o

Okay. I will take your advice and do that right now. Thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here