Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My deal of the day

Posted by bruggirl z9FL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 17:55

Today I was at Home Depot looking for paint, and decided (of course) to stop and look in the garden department. I was gazing through small tropicals, and there, in the middle of all the common everyday plants was a flash of bright red. I looked closer, and there it was! A perfect little rex begonia with the prettiest red leaves you ever saw. Of course, I looked and looked to see if there were more, but no, so I brought it home. I'll post pictures when I get it to growing a little more. It really is beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My deal of the day

It always happens- we go to a store with the intention to get one thing and end up buying plants. Oh, the misery. Congrats on your new find, bruggirl! Please do post the pics when you get a chance- I'd love to see it.

-CG

o

Strangest thing. The new leaf has come out silver! I wonder if it's just silver when young, then turning red? Does anyone know of a variety that does this? It's definitely a rex.

o

May just be the light. You can get a lot of variation growing outside in the shade, inside in the window, under regular fluorescent lights, under special grow lights--definitely more color under grow lights. I use Wide Spectrum, and I wouldn't be surprised if a grower did too to make them look better. I'm not sure that's really fair, but some growers do things like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here