Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rex begonias

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 18:44

Do they go dormant, and if so, how long?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rex begonias

They do go semi dormant - don't let them dry out completely even if they have no leaves - they still need some moisture. As long as the rhizome stays firm then it is good to go. If it gets mushy then rot has set in from too much water. If it is dry and disintegrates then it was allowed to dry out beyond its ability to withstand drought.

Full dormancy plants on the other hand need no water for weeks or months. For instance I bring caladiums indoors for winter and let them dry out completely for a few months before waking them up with some water,

Rexes should put out new leaves when conditions are right - light, warmth, water. I have 3 to 4 rexes that are just starting to put out new leaves but then I have dozens more that are quite bushy so there is no hard rules for "rex" begonias. I grow them under shoplights in winter and water 2 to 3 times a week. Your conditions may be different though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here