Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large, maple leaf shaped begonia

Posted by sherryinmaine 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 19:29

Hi, visited Surry gardens today & saw a hanging begonia, with very large sort of maple leaf shape leaves.

No flowers. The leaves were bigger than my hand.

Anyone have an idea? I asked there, but they didn't know. A lady had donated it a while back. Owner said he used to know, but couldn't remember anymore. . .

Dying to know, would love to grow it.
thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large, maple leaf shaped begonia

More details are needed to figure out what it was. Maybe a dragon wing cane like Sophie Cecile? Did it have spots or fuzz? Dark leaf or light? Fleshy stem or firm?

o

Hi, sorry, I didn't think anyone would actually answer my message. . . .

I've looked at numerous begonia pics.
It's (I think) rhizo.
It has very large lighter green leaves. Thick stems, but the leaves hung down from the hanging basket I saw it in.
It has kind of 'hairy' appearance on the leaves and stem, too I think.
I looked at crassucaulis photo- not it (wouldn't mind having it though)
looked at big mac, earl-ee-bee, heiracleifolia, and the very last one I saw online might be it-- but, I cant remember the name of it!
As I saw photos I'd scribble the name down on a scrap of paper- I cant find the latest scribble.
Might have seen it on taylor begonia site.
I will look again.
It has a 'maple leaf' like leaf, very large, bigger than my hand, light green, kind of hairs on it. It is a plain color, no spots that I can remember, or perhaps the very ends had a bit of reddish on them, not a lot.
I appreciate your time! Does this help?

o

Not sure about the maple leaf description since most maple leaves are symmetrical and most begonias aren't.

Try ricinifolia or Immense to begin with. I think some folks describe them as maple leaf begonias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here