Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I keep a potted begonia to reflower?

Posted by ianbrazil none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 19:33

We bought a huge potted begonia for my wife's mother's 94th birthday. The flowers are now nearly over and the leaves are beginning to crisp. She says we can keep it to reflower next year, however. I imagine it will need to be repotted. Do I cut back the top? Help please....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I keep a potted begonia to reflower?

First we'll need to know what kind of begonia it is. Do you have a picture?

o

Begonia tuberhybrida.

o

OK, tuberous begonias-- let the little guys go dormant naturally. Then you can lift the tuber and store them (although some people leave them in the pots and bring the pots in). The tubers will sprout and start up again on their own time. At that point you plant them (if they are lifted) and begin to water some, give them light, and then if you have any issues with frost wait to set them out until frost is passed.

o

Thank you. We don't have any frost issues so I can keep this anywhere. Is it OK to cut off the top part of the plant, which is dying anyway and just keep the root or tuber part?

o

I would wait for it to die back naturally.

Where ever you store it, make sure it isn't in the rain-- you don't want it to rot while dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here