Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedtick

Beefsteak Begonia

seedtick
19 years ago

I have a nice beefsteak begonia that has been blooming for about three months now. It needs to be re-potted and I would like advice about when and how to best do this. I would like to root some cuttings also.

Comments (10)

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I have my beefsteak in a terra cotta bowl, and it seems pretty happy. I tend to re-pot when I think the plant looks like it needs re-potting, but when growth is starting (spring) is a pretty good general time. Don't over-pot it, and a shallow pot is better than a deep one. I like to pot rhizomatous ones with their 'back' against the rim of the pot and the growing points approximately in the middle if I can. That way they will head to the empty side of the pot and become better balanced than if you put them in the middle to start with. They're pretty easy to start either from rhizome cuttings or from leaves and leaf wedges, but that's been gone over so many times you can just search the site.

• seedtick
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info. I struggled with this plant before I babied it into becoming very hardy. It now stays outside on a southside porch and is never moved unless threatened by weather. It gets Miracle Gro for supper when needed.

• Margie2
    19 years ago

I used to have one of these, but lost the cuttings. Is there any place I can buy this? Thanks if you have any information, preferably through the internet.

• bettybug-gardner
    16 years ago

I want like to know where I can buy the beefsteak begonia, either a established plant or a big rooting. When I have ordered one online I get a very small rooting in a one inch pot with one leaf. Does anyone know a nursery that has a small plant? Thank you, bettybug-gardner Amlalways @aol.com

• cjlutz1_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Need to repot my Beefsteak Begonia.Is this possible without breaking the arms?

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

If you are careful it is possible. Sometimes it is easier to cut or break them off and re-pot those in the same pot or another pot to give away or have a little insurance against loss.

• Lillied_40_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I've been trying to find one.Can any one help

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

Check out Taylorgreenhouse.com, they are in New York State. They sell the Beefsteak under its true name B. 'Erythrophylla'. This is such a much loved old timer, if you keep your eyes open you may spot it around your neighborhood or some public place which has begonias and other plants, perhaps a nursing home or a senior center location or even a hospital. Someone would spare a cutting.

• scsva
    12 years ago

Pepper's Greenhouse has it also.

• Luana80917
    12 years ago

I now have beefsteak starters for sale. They are healthy plants and I can supply pictures on request. I will have more in about a month as my plant is going wild!! If interested, please email me at lbraswell7134@hotmail.com

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm