Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia, Richardsiana help

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 19:46

I purchased a baby, 4-5", Richardsina 8-9 yrs ago..as soon as roots filled its 2" pot 'it was shipped in,' I potted in a bonsai container. It grew like a weed, and flowered from spring well into fall yearly.
It's pruned a couple times a year, mainly to keep from growing every-which-way, given away many cuttings, 'since I prefer not to discard healthy growth.'

I don't know if I pruned too early, but after its haircut, it stopped growing, totally! Instead of new growth, leaves are dropping. It's evergreen not decidious.

Could I have killed it by pruning too early? Or is it something entirely different? It gets fertilizer and Superthrive during growing season.. Since it's on the ledge of a kitchen window, I hose foliage once or twice a week, without wetting soil. Any ideas? Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia, Richardsiana help

Hydrate the soil. Maintain dampness. Sounds to me like you are short on water about seven days a week. Sounds to me like your plant needed all the pruned off just to catch and hold on to the minimal watering you were giving it.

o
RE: Begonia, Richardsiana help

Doc, you misunderstood..lol. I meant I hosed 'foliage' once or twice a wk..I water 'soil' when it's barely dry, like I've been doing the last 8-9 yrs..Soil is watered every 3 days or so, depending on whether it's moist or dry. Plus, the pot is sitting on pebbles with a little water, but not so roots sit in water or sucked up via drainage holes..

In the meantime, the top leaves look lifeless..The main trunk is firm, so I doubt the plant is dead..new stems are growing from the side, but I normally remove side-growth, so the plant looks tree-shaped.

I'm running out of ideas..Maybe it needs fresh soil? I'm at a loss..thanks, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here