Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdxjules

Root Nodes? What would you do with this one

pdxjules
19 years ago

This Angel Wing Begonia cutting was given to me by MennoAnna in Portland -

with a generous mass of new roots - just last month.

I potted it up, and have watered lightly but frequently. I noticed this week that there are nodes all along the main stem. It branches above (the photo may not show that) to a large ratty looking leaf from an tripping incident on the way home), and a heathier looking new group of leaves above.

Thoe nodes on the main stem look like root nodes to me. And at the branched V just above the soil, I see new growth poking out. So should I cut above that, and plant the entire large stem in sterile medium?

Last, should I try a leaf cutting

from the large, torn leaf?

I did successfully root an eyelash Leaf given to me by Ming last fall, in a sandy mix. The new growth poking out under the origional leaf is so cute!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

• mingtea
    19 years ago

hi jules,

nice to see you on this forum!

cane type begonias, unfortunately, can't be propagated by the leaf alone. the nodes along the canes can form roots, though, and when a cane gets scraggly looking, you can always cut and re-root. the nodes left behind will eventually leaf out and then you'll have two plants, both hopefully fuller than the original. there's a post somewhere down the line about propagation. it's regarding a rhizo, but i linked a couple sites that encompass all sorts that you may find interesting.

good luck, and i'm happy to hear that the cutting i gave you took root!

-ming

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

Let's see if I can remember everything you asked without looking back. I'm too tired to scroll! I think it's safe to say you can't root cane begonia leaves like you can with rhizomatous begonias. There may be some exceptions (they'd have to be of mixed ancestry I think) but I don't know of any. Cane begonias are called that because they have stems with nodes, supposedly like bamboo (not sure I see the resemblance myself.) They will root at those nodes, or they may branch there, and they will grow new leaves and flowers there the first time around. Not after that. So it's fine to cut them back to the soil when you have new growth coming up, and you can root the whole stem or cut it into several if it's long enough. Cane begonias like a lot more light than rhizomatous ones, even some direct sun especially in the morning. I heard recently that once a node has had a leaf and a flower it won't grow roots. I haven't really paid attention to that when I cut stems for rooting and I'm not sure it's true, but it does make some sense. After all, after you've gone to that much work you might be too tired to grow roots too! But I'm pretty sure I've rooted cuttings that have bloomed without problems. Anyway--good growing!
    Nancy

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm