Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mymanga

Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?

mymanga
14 years ago

Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they worth it?

They are so expensive at $59 for one tuber from White flower farm.

Have anyone try the un-name B&L seeding from white flower farm?

Also any good on-line place to buy interesting double flowering begonia.

Many thanks

Michele

Comments (4)

• irish_rose_grower
    14 years ago

HI, i thought about buying the hot orange one from white flower farm a couple years back but it was like 50 plus shipping. So i chose to buy from Antonelli's which i just heard is out of business after 80 yrs. So sorry, i don't know if they are worth it, but for one tuber i don't know if i would spend the money -- unless i had loads of money - then i wouldn't hesitate.

• jane_in_bristol
    14 years ago

Ouch - $50 for one tuber? I'm not THAT confident in my growing abilities (or the N.E. weather) LOL!

Well, I've had very good luck with Brent & Becky's bulbs for other things - Achimines and Alliums, but it looks like some of their flashier begonias are already sold out.

I've also gotten nice Iris rhizomes from Michigan Bulb Co., and they have Begonias. I might take a look at those for this season for myself.

For those of us on a garden budget, they're much more reasonable.

HTH,
    Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonias at Michigan Bulb

• jenosb
    14 years ago

Brent & Becky's is good, but do seem to sell out early.

Michigan Bulb is good for some things but I haven't had very good response to questions about my orders in the past.

Golden State Direct shipped my order very fast and the quality was very good, but I have only one order of experience with them so far.

• Solomon Dang-Goldberg
    9 years ago

I ordered about 12 bulbs from them directly in 2010. They arrived in little paper bags in march and seemed really small compared to domestic tuners about the size of a walnut. They were all clean and had pink growth. I didn't think they would grow to be exhibition size that year but they did. They filled out 2 gallons pots well, most only had one or 2 main stems but flowers were still gigantic for small plants. When I dug them up that fall, all the tuners were the size of my fist. The plants were even better the following year. I started them all in Feb and they were blooming by end of May with a glorious show until September when I had to abandon them. I love their begonias but don't have the money to buy named tuners anymore so I've started from seed. The blooms were as advertised.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor