Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Name of Pink and White Cane Begonia in Barbados?

Ran across a photo of a gorgeous pink and white flowered cane begonia on a Barbados blog. See link to photo below. It is the 12th photo from the top (or 3rd from the bottom). Does anyone know the name of this beauty?

Thanks!
Carol in Jacksonville (but Barbados would be nice!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog: My Rustic Bajan Garden

Comments (15)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I found it. It may be Hardy Pink Begonia, Begonia grandis subsp. evansiana, B. evansiana. I found several more links with photos of leaves and flowers that match. What do you think?

Carol

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have learned that this begonia propagates itself via seed/bulbils. Does anyone have any they would be willing to share? I would be so appreciative and more than happy to pay for postage.

Carol

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

I grow four forms of B . grandis, however, that plant with its thick cluster of blooms, is either a cane or shrub. the shiny look of the leaves doesn't match either. B. grandis leaves are taller, larger and almost heart shaped.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks very much for the info, Woebegonia. (I really like your name!) Do you think that could have been an opportunistic shot? I have seen several photos now that looked close to the one in the blog, but I did notice that in most cases, the flowers were much sparser.

I didn't know there were four different forms of B. grandis! Do they all form bulbils and reseed themselves? Please post photos or links if you have any.

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it. I have been bitten by the Begonia Bug! :)

Carol

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

Carol, the ABS Astrobranch has a good photo - go there, click 'species', takes you to origin, look under Asian species for 'grandis', click on to 'flower' and also go to'leaf', good photos there. This can be a little trickjy. Might be simpler to just google 'Begonia grandis'. Mine are all coming out of dormancy and in about 4" pots, I'll see if I can get a good photo. A lot of species begonias are tuberous and many also form bulbils in Autumn when the days shorten.

• hc mcdole
    11 years ago

Reminds me of odorata but odorata has white blooms.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for your help. I greatly appreciate the time of all you experts! :)

Woebegonia, I went back and looked at the original photo and I don't see shiny leaves. Maybe it is my eyes or monitor. :( I think it looks just like the one on this page, which is also labeled "Hardy Pink Begonia Begonia grandis subsp. evansiana, B. evansiana". (Scroll down about a third of the way down the page to the "Begonias" section.) To me, the flowers and leaves look almost identical to the photo on the Barbados website, no?... and both mention that the flowers are edible.

Thank you also for the info about the photo on the ABS Astro Branch website. For anyone that wants to see the photos, it took me quite awhile to find them so I linked them below. Scroll down to the "Asian Species" section and then find grandis var. evansiana. There are photos of the plant and flower.

I am hoping someone will be willing to send me bulbils/seeds from hardy/grandis/species begonias. I would be happy to mail a prepaid envelope to anyone that could share or would be happy to send pink amaryllis seeds if you would rather have that. :)

Thanks reading, sharing, and all of your experience and advice!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS Astro Branch - Species, alphabetical listing

• Woebegonia
    11 years ago

Carol, another good site is picsearch.com although often you can't bring up a begonia photo, but there are three there at the top, of B. grandis, blow them up and you will see the forms, including the long peduncle of blooms.I guess I should have said ' smooth, hairless' leaves ,usually shiny, to get a strong bloom cluster such as the Barbados plant has. I passed on all my bubils in January, but I will keep you in mind for next year.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Woebegonia,

Ah, thanks for another good picture site. Nice to have this one. I will bookmark it. Thanks for the explanation regarding the leaves, too. I bet your bulbils were popular. I may buy some on eBay if I can't find any in a trade but I will also check back here next year. Sometimes it takes me years to find a plant. :)

Happy gardening!
    Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone have any seeds or bulbils that they can share? I will be glad to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Thank you so much in advance!

Carol

• JohnnieB
    10 years ago

Can't identify it but it is definitely not B. grandis (a.k.a. B. evansiana), which grows poorly (if at all) in tropical and subtropical climates.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, thanks, John B., I've been reading the discussion in the Yahoo group, too! I'm the same person that started both threads! (But at far different times...) :)

Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps it is Begonia chitoensis?

Carol

• gregsytch
    10 years ago

Hi Carol- NOT B. grandis. It does not even grow in my Tampa Bay yard...forget Barbados. I agree that it does resemble B. odorata except for flowers are white on B. odorata. However, the pic does not give enough info.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Greg, yeah I realized awhile ago from some of your good info that it was not B. grandis . But how about my most recent guess: B. chitoensis? (see my July 5 post)

Carol