Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Begonia boliviensis aerial tuber?

mark4321_gw
12 years ago

Hi,

I just bought a dormant B. boliviensis. It has what appears to be an aerial tuber at the end of a short stem:

{{gwi:431867}}

I'm curious how best to deal with the tuber. It clearly has growth buds. Do I remove it now or leave it on? If so, how do I remove it? Can I assume that the stem will eventually die if it is left attached? Is it blooming size?

The plant is originally from Annie's Annuals and Perennials (the wholesaler), although I bought the plant at a great little nursery in Half Moon Bay, CA: Flora Farm Nusery. The nursery is "hidden" just a block off all the shops on main street and worth a visit. In spite of the fact that the nursery is small, that have a huge variety of interesting plants. They had other B. boliviensis, including at least one more with a similar aerial tuber. I think it was around $5.00 or $5.50, and would have actually been more at Annie's retail nursery ($9.50 I think for purple tags), and even more from Annie's mail order.

The size of the underground tuber is unclear to me--I tipped it out of the pot and although the pot was distorted I did not see any sign of the tuber at the edge of the root ball.

I grew one of these Annie's plants in the past but had to give it away before it went dormant, due to a move. I would assume this plant bloomed last summer or fall.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus