Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rex Begonias- planting outdoors?

Posted by Georgia_GA z7bGA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 23:37

HI All,
I was just given a beautiful Rex Begonia that was started from a cutting. Are these houseplants only or can you put them outside when there's no more danger of frost? I've heard they're a beautiful hanging plant, and would like to put it ouside for the warm season. I've never grown these before. Are all Begonias the same, Annuals?
Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Georgia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rex Begonias- planting outdoors?

Well--all begonias aren't the same, and I don't know of any begonias that are annuals. Some are grown as annuals, or as cut flowers more or less, to throw away when people get tired of them or don't know how to grow them for longer periods, but so far as I know none are annuals. As far as growing rexes outdoors, while your conditions are somewhat different from mine I would think you could grow them outside just fine after frost chances are over, as you say; I grow most of mine outdoors. Be sure they're in shade and in a cooler part of the yard--they don't care much for heat. If you're interested in learning about the different kinds of begonias, check out the AMerican Begonia site. Too few of us get to see all the different kinds. They just aren't available most places, and it bothers me that the ones that tend to be most often available are often the ones that are more challenging to grow. I guess a lot of people in the business go by the motto of someone local, who fortunately isn't in the business anymore. He said sell people plants that will die so they'll have to come back for more. I think he went a long ways to convincing a lot of people they had 'black thumbs.'

o

Dear greenelbows,
I'm so sorry that I haven't thanked you for your advice, it was very helpful. Recently I've been ill so I haven't been getting back to people as I should.
Thanks again,
~ Georgia

o

No harm done, Georgia. Hope you're all better now. Illness makes it hard to do what we expect to be able to do, even if, as in my case, it's someone else who is ill (my husband.) Be well, and enjoy your begonias!
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here