Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Granddaughter needs help

greenelbows1
18 years ago

Today we set up the Garden Club Show that's part of the Festival des Fleurs, an annual fund-raising extravaganza to support horticulture at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. After the show was judged, one of the judges came to me and said 'I understand you're the one to talk to about begonias.' I gulped. I keep trying to get more people interested past the point of growing a few without getting hooked, or even interested enough to call them 'canes' instead of 'Angel Wings', but I am far, far, from being any kind of expert. Well, to get to the point, her grandmother, Lois Kennedy, hybridized and registered two cane begonias in 1967-68 and she has been trying to find them to grow in her memory. They sound like they would be worth growing. The Thompson book says 'Melanie Babin' is a cross of 'Orange Rubra' x cane-like variety, intermediate, bright orange; everblooming. 'Theresa Lynn' is 'Pinafore' x unknown, cane-like, intermediate, white; spring-summer blooming; profuse. I couldn't find a picture or a source; I'll keep looking, but do any of you know where she could find them? She said she even wrote to the ABS but got no answer. I think that's a shame.

Comments (2)