Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 long shoot, prune or not to prune?

Posted by castorcrap z5 wv & z6 Md (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 9:06

hello,
I bought some cheap begonia bulbs at walmart of unknown cultivar, but they are a large flowering variety. I put 2 in an 8" terracotta, they have both sprouted, one with 3 short trunks, and one bulb only made 1 huge long floppy 12" trunk. Im sure they dont have huge root systems yet, so is it okay to pinch the long one?, how radically do these things tollerate pruning? Oh, and also, on these flowering kind, that are not grown for folliage, when fall comes can I just let frost knock em down and then store them in thier pot, with no water, and in a cold room, just like a dormant amyrillus?
thankyou,
castorcrap

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 long shoot, prune or not to prune?

I've never had any trouble pruning my begonias back. If anything they respond by branching out and blooming more. I don't have extensive experiences with begonias, but what I have had is that they are very easy to grow, to root and to propagate from cuttings. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here