Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

pigskin begonia

nova_gw
18 years ago

I found this plant at my local HD last week and it cried out to me to be taken home despite it's woebegone appearance and pricey cost. (bone dry, about half it's leaves crushed or torn, it's poor flower spikes struggling to stand) After watering and a light trim it has perked up considerably and I love the texture of it's leaves. I guess my problem now is how to keep it happy. I have never grown bigonias before and am interested in any zone 9 Florida advise. I have it on my shade porch where I grow my orchids, coleus, and ferns and it recieves very little direct sun in the early mornings. Should I repot it? If so, what type of soil? What and how much should I feed it? I am sorry for all the questions but as I said I am a bignoia newbie and will appreciate any and all advise. Thanks to all! nova

Comments (13)

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well no answers in a month so I guess I'll bump this post on down. By the way the plant is doing great and has put out a couple of more blooms.

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any answers, but I'm guessing everyone has the same problem I have--I never heard of a pigskin begonia. Most begonias are not hard, and it sounds like you're doing fine. Have you been to the American Begonia Society site to look at pictures and maybe identify it further? I've been watching this space to see if anyone had an answer 'cause I wanted to know too!

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hi there,

i think that, if we're talking about the same thing, the correct cultivar name for this begonia is Begonia 'Boomer.'
    see if you can find your begonia using that search! sounds like light levels are okay, and it is indeed a great idea to browse the ABS for general culture info--look under the "thick-stemmed" classification. HTH,

-ming

Here is a link that might be useful: is this it?

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

Gee, you're a genius, Ming! Never would have connected that. At least on my monitor, tho', I wouldn't recognize it if I were looking for a name for mine. Hope it's just this monitor. It's a great, tough, beautiful begonia. I've had it since before it got its name--think it was sent out as a 'U number' but turned out to be an accidental hybrid, if I remember the story accurately. Thought I'd lost mine this last winter, just under a frost blanket outside, but it's coming back nicely.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello ming! And thank you! "Boomer" is indeed the plant I have. So much for box store plant tags! nova

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I think there will be a very special place for the people responsible for plant labels in box stores in the hereafter. Only, I have a horrible suspicion it's a bunch of under-paid, over-worked people doing the best they can, and nobody is really responsible!

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well said greenelbows! Besides, look at all the fun we have trying to figure out what we have brought home! Case in point, a couple of weeks ago I went to our local Master Gardeners sale and brought home what was labled as an "Argentine Amazon Vine" after much research with no luck and then waiting for it to bloom I found out it was really an "Argentine Painted Trumpet Vine"! Oh well, nobody is perfect and I love a good mystery! nova

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I went out and got a picture of my "boomer" today. Just to verify it's ID -

{{gwi:432023}}

I am new at posting pictures so I hope this works! Click on it to get a bigger picture! Thanks to all again! nova

• mingtea
    18 years ago

yay! it looks like the names match up :)

i had a little snippet of this guy once, but i lost it. ah well. your photobucket album is nice--i love the picture of that frog snugged inside a flower.

-ming

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you ming for the comment on the frog! I was sort of surprized by how well it came out. I popped over to your member page and love your pictures of "Big Lizard"! Just have to share my "Big Lizard" [except he's an iguana and I call him "Wildman" -

{{gwi:432024}}

Oregon to Florida with begonias and lizards! Life is good! nova

• seaecho1
    18 years ago

Very nice looking begonia! Boy, it sure doesn't look beat up and unhealthy at all! I guess you must surely have a green thumb! Its one happy camper of a begonia.

Randi

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Randi! One month of TLC can make a world of differance in alot of plants. I do have to give Mother Nature credit for some really great weather here in Florida this spring. Just enough rain and some wonderfully mild temps helped this baby out alot! nova

• marybright
    11 years ago

I was reading through older posts like this one and thought, hmm, didn't I see pigskin somewhere?
    So, seven years later: another culprit. Not sure I like either name Boomer or Pigskin...

Here is a link that might be useful: pigskin again