Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_lisa_gw

cut down begonias too skinny

anna_lisa
18 years ago

Hi i brought 15 begonia clipings for a dollar each at the nurery now some are growing too tall and skinny can i cut them down a few inches and place the cutting under the light in humit soil will they root? I left about 3 inches with the begonia in the pot.I hope that does not died Anna Lisa

Comments (3)

• mingtea
    18 years ago

the thing to remember about begonias is not to place them in soil that is too wet or they'll be prone to rotting away. if these are cane begonias, you have two options:

1. root them in water (i don't like this method very much, but it works sometimes). make sure you pot before the roots get over an inch.

2. pot in porous, well-draining soil and keep in a humid environment--but canes root well even w/o the extra humidity.

-ming

• anna_lisa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry i forgot to say what type of begonia it is. Its a non stop begonia. There must be a trick with the humity that my bigest problem always too much anna lisa

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

The humidity--and the heat--is why we can't grow tuberous begonias, non-stop or otherwise, down here in the swamps. Don't know about Quebec--may not be good there either. Some places you can grow some things, other places you can grow others. I've decided to grow the ones that like it here. Frustrating sometimes--guess it's one more case of 'you can't fool Mother Nature.'

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths