Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuwuti

Begonia dregei 'Tweedle Dee'

chuwuti
11 years ago

I have had this begonia for about two years, and while it is still alive and growing leaves, it is also still dropping leaves. It never has very many leaves--currently it has 8 leaves on three little branches, and yesterday it had 10, so it dropped two leaves overnight.

The caudex is about 1.5" in diameter. Total height is about 2".

I've had it in a bonsai pot. For the past few months, I've increased the watering, because it dropped ALL its leaves when I let it dry out too much. I actually put it in a terrarium for awhile instead until it began growing leaves again, though I removed it after reading that it doesn't like things too moist.

I'm really frustrated with this plant. It's surviving, but it isn't thriving. What do I need to be doing differently??

Thanks for any suggestions! Sandy

Comments (3)

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

How's it doing? It is so small are you sure it isn't under-potted? A few months ago there was a long discussion on the Houseplant Forum about this type of growth. If you find the site it's worth reading.

• Jane Nagy
    6 years ago

Mine did the same thing...all leaves are gone now but the center stem is firm...I think mine had travel/transplant shock, sensitive to temp change and being moved...

• Emmit Stewart
    4 years ago

I have a plant of the closely related Begonia partita and it sheds like a sheepdog. Shedding leaves seems to be common behavior with the varieties of Begonia Dregei. I don't think it likes drying out as much as the descriptions say. I planted mine into a well drained cactus type soil and water often and It seems happier. It still blooms up a storm and drops lots of spent blossoms, so keep it an easy plc to reach and clean.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022