Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_tierney

Identify two begonias?

Mike_Tierney
13 years ago

I have two begonias that I would like to identify. I have placed several photos of each in a Snapfish album. Here is the link.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3316620022/a=2904215022_2904215022/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

One kind of reminds me of lettuce and the other is a stunning old cane variety.

The lettuce leaf one (LL) was being sold about five years ago in hanging baskets at the Missouri Botanical Garden gift shop in Saint Louis. LL is very compact, shrubby and generally upright to about 10 inches but it will cascade when the stems get long enough. The leaves obscure the stems which are somewhat woody. The leaves are about 1.5 inches long with a coccinea green color, faint white spots, and develop a pink blush in bright light. The flowers are pink.

The stunning one (SO) I got from a fellow begonia fancier here in Saint Louis who had it from her grandmother. It looks like a 'classic' cane begonia that would make a beautiful botanic illustration. The leaves are very elongated, deep glossy green with large spots and the reverse is a deep rich garnet color. The leaves curl up easily if the soil gets dry. It has not bloomed for me yet.

I will appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mike's Begonias

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County