Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guitartists

Need help IDing Cane Begonias

guitartists
18 years ago

I just got 2 new begonias...yay! I think they must be cane.... though maybe thick-stemmed or shrub-like? Both are Angelwing.

Here are pics of foliage and blooms.... just click on the pic to see a larger image.

http://angelwolfstudio.blogspot.com/

The pics kind of went up staggered Though, I think you can tell which pics are pairs. The one has spotted leaves and dark pink blooms. The stems are rather woody looking and the ones he had for sale in baskets were very full!

The other has fuzzy leaves which are purple/fushia on the underside, white blossoms and has a stem that doesn't look woody.... it looks like a reg. small plant, full of water stems are fuzzy like leaves.

I believe both are most likely ole fashioned varieties as they came from the same gentleman... though, they may be newer.

Comments (9)

• guitartists
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whoops... let me make that a link :P

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of cane begonias

• guitartists
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe the spotted one is Lucerna? And the other a form of Listada? Maybe the greenhouse effected their colors a bit more than I think they would.... the new foliage coming up on the spotted one has a purple underside... and the other one does have the distinctive light stripe down the center of the leaf... it is just a bit faint.

• guitartists
    Original Author
    18 years ago

One more little thing.... the flowers on the furry one have little furry hairs all over the backside of the petals and on the ovary? of the female blooms.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

hiya,

i think the fuzzy one is B. listada. listada hybrids all carry that characteristic streak...it's classified as a shrub.

-ming

• guitartists
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you :D

• guitartists
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe the spotted one is 'Medora' a shrub variety as well? Commonly called Trout Leaf.

• mingtea
    18 years ago

'Medora' was what i thought at first, but i've grown that one and the flowers i've seen are either pink or white, not as vivid as what you have.

-ming

• greenelbows1
    18 years ago

I don't recognize the spotted one, but it's definitely a cane and not 'Lucerna'. 'Lucerna' has more 'orange' flowers, and a flatter leaf. I think it's the first begonia I grew--anyway the first cane--many, many years ago. Very fond of it. Wish I knew the names of some of the other canes I grow!

• anna_lisa
    17 years ago

The picture of the spoted begonia is angle wing begonia i have a very tall one its about 5ft or so will also have to be cut down again.its beautiful it stay bushy that what I like about it Anna