Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thistle5_gw

new begonias at the garden center!

thistle5
16 years ago

We got in a shipment yesterday, from Quality Greenhouse, PA, & I came home with 4" Wineuma, Bonfire, River Nile, Last Laugh, richmondensis-white, Fairy, Looking Glass, Benitochiba, & Sophie Irene (have these last 2 from last summer in a large container, overwintered successfully), & last year's begonia winner-Witlacochee! I purchased 3 hanging baskets of this last May & it has bloomed nonstop since then-I took 2 flats of cuttings from one basket about 2 weeks ago, so I have a new crop coming. I mistakenly thought this was richmondensis & have been praising it to anyone who would listen, this was the plant that really won me over to begonias.

I have an Iron Cross that looks good, but w/ the exception of 1 'Maui Mist', none of my Great American cities series looks promising, just big gnarly stems, w/ no leaves. Any hope for these or should I just compost them?

Comments (9)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Put your GAC under some kind of humidity cover (plastic bag, glass tank, liter bottle) and give it a couple of weeks. If the rhizomes are plump then you just have to be patient.

• thistle5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, I'll do that-don't want to just give up on them...

• susancarol
    16 years ago

I found Sophie Irene at a garden center today. Is there really one with this name or is it simply Sophie Cecile because they look so much alike?

Susan

• thistle5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm no expert, but the plant I purchased this year labelled 'Sophie Irene', looks identical to the 1 I got last year, that overwintered in a pot w/ 'Benitochiba'.

I loved the begonias that I had in a hanging basket last year (3 of them) so much, they bloomed from May until Jan.!, I kept asking my boss when we would get in begonias in a hanging basket. I didn't get the same variety, but I got some beautiful 'richmondensis', the only thing I don't like is that they're in white plastic, I need to find some coco liners to make them really shine! I think these are going to be as lovely as the ones I had last year...

• susancarol
    16 years ago

Thistle, Do you work at Betty's Azalea Ranch by any chance?

Susan

• thistle5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I'm at Holly, Woods, & Vines on Rt. 1 (Richmond Hwy.) It's crazy this time of the year, but I love it! So many new plants-this week, I got 'Sinbad', 'Fire Flush', & 'Palomar Prince' begonias, as well as way too many other tropicals & annuals for container planting. I love spring!

Believe it or not, those 3 baskets I got last spring (which I think are Witlacochee), one of them I pruned for cuttings, the other 2 are untrimmed, still look great! I haven't given them any special treatment or even fertilized them. I think begonias are definitely one of the most underrated plants...Linda

• susancarol
    16 years ago

Well, that's a new place and I'll have to check it out!
    Offhand, do you know of any other places in Northern Virginia? I visit Merrifield Gardens and Betty's when I get a chance.

Susan

• thistle5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan,
    I wish I could tell you about more local garden centers, but due to lack of time, I only shop HWV, & occasionally, the Ft. Belvoir Home & Garden center. I do also shop online- ebay & Lazy S, & try to hit the large local sales-River Farm (AHS) at the end of April & Green Springs, when I can get over there...

• susancarol
    16 years ago

Thanks, in the past I have done the online shopping but it was a thrill to walk into Betty's Azalea Ranch and see some cane begonias. I wonder why they're so hard to find in local shops.

Susan

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery