Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. begonia and care information

Posted by hollye442 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 15:49

I do not know what kind of begonia this is. I bought it at a store in early Feb. of this year and it has been blooming since then. What kind of begonia is this? If I plant this outside this summer will it continue to bloom? This plant blooms the sends out a new shoot off the end of that bloom and puts out another bloom. Am I supposed to pinch off that bloom or will it just keep blooming on those long stems. It is kind of getting ugly but I'm scared if I pinch them off that it will be done blooming. Please help me with the I.D. and any growing and care information. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. begonia and care information

Reiger/hiemalis. Typically used as an annual. Enjoy and discard. Some folks have luck by cutting it close to the ground after blooming and caring for it with some fertilizer, bright light, proper watering, etc. There was a discussion of them very recently on the Y@h00 begonia group - most are in favor of not buying them or enjoying them for a short while. Others coax them back for more blooms.

Very popular blooming plant around holidays until you get tired of buying them over and over. Choose which option you want.

o

I got one of these recently, too, although not the exact same plant. So pretty, aren't they?! You might find this discussion of some value. It totally changed my plans for this plant. Hope yours continues to do well, looks great!

o

Thank you so much for your responses and information and for the post to the discussion link. I'll just let it bloom itself to death then I may try to repot it. I love plant experiments!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here