Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking tuberous begonias

Posted by susan6 z6a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 15:52

Have any of you come up with strategies for staking big, multi-stemed begonias? Last year I lost half of the plants because later in the season the bamboo stakes wouldn't support the weight of the plants and they broke off. The trouble is that with the loose soil mix one needs, the stakes bend with the plant. One site suggested cutting down those round tomato cage things and letting the plants grow through the wires. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking tuberous begonias

• Posted by bayard zone 6 / NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, May 1, 12 at 22:55

I know what you mean! I'm considering using green metal fencing to make mini cages. I've been looking for plastic cages that will snap onto the rim of my 8 inch plastic pots. A place in Great Britain sells them for Achimenes with pots included (too small). The best solution I've come up with is to insert 3 stakes around the perimeter of the pot and then loop those Velcro plant ties around the Begonia stems from multiple directions. Eventually the rootball fills in to support the stakes.

o
RE: Staking tuberous begonias

I have my pots sitting on/in much larger pots filled with clay soil so they dont fall over and it holds up stakes nicely. The begoinias grow a few roots into the clay and dont wobble anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here