Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Begonias

Posted by Motezuma z5 WV (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 18:03

Hi everybody. I am attempting to grow some begonias from leaves I got thru a trade. The previous grower said to root them in water. When I got them, I made fresh cuts in the stem and stuck them in water. I also sliced off a little bit (with vein) and stuck it in dirt and bagged it.
One of them (a Rex) has roots now. It's only been about 10 days. The question is, when should I pot it, and how deep?

Thanks for your help.

-Mo (WV)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Begonias

also... deep enough to cover all of the root plus maybe an inch or so...
A plant lover

o

For some reason, my second response came and the first didn't show up at all... I hope you were able to plant your rooting begonia leaf. In the first response I said that I root a lot of plants but had not tried rooting the begonia. I have had a lot of success with rooting many other types of plants. I think if you have root growth then it is fine to go ahead and plant it in the same type of soil in which african violets would be planted. good luck!

o

Thanks. So far, so good. The leaves are still alive, no shoots yet.

-Mo (WV)

o

I have some new tuberous begonias in my garden, are those the appropriate kind to root in water? And you just cut off a leaf and put the stem in water? I've only rooted ivy, so that's all I'm familiar with

o

I don't think you'll have any luck rooting tuberous begonia leaves. That mostly works with rhizomatous and Rex (a division of rhizomatous). I think tuberous begonias are harder to grow from cuttings, tho' since they won't grow here I don't actually know.

o

Hi. An update- one of the Rex leaves has a shoot! It also appears to be growing 4 small leaves from the place where the leaf meets the petiole... So, how do I deal with this? Should I remove the shoot and pot the leaf to where th soil level is? The others I am rooting are still just leaves sticking out of the dirt.

-Mo (WV)

o

It is possible with Rexs to get several babies from one leaf. (similar to African violets). If there is enough space to work, you can seperate them with a razor blade and make a couple little plants or just leave them grow as is. Sounds like you are doing well with whatever you are doing. Keep up the good work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here