Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

leaf color changed

TJG911
14 years ago

i know nothing about begonias, i use the gw vegetable forums, but i have a real problem with my begonia and need advice.

i have had this plant since 1982 taking cutting from the original about 3 years ago. i always have healthy plants say 3 or 4 in the pot and when they get too tall and messed up looking from cutting them back, i'll root a few cuttings and start with small plants.

about 6-12 months ago i cut off 3 cuttings and rooted them. i planted them in a pot with old potting soil. location is in the same southern exposure.

i noticed sometime in the past several weeks that the leaves on all 3 cuttings are loosing the green and today they really look reddish! they appear to be healthy otherwise but the color is far from the dark green i am used to seeing! i never fertilize so that's been working for decades. same southern window with some direct then indirect sun so no change there. i wanted to cut the tops off all 3 plants and reroot them but then it struck me the leaf color is reddish.

this picture is what the flowers look like http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/define-wax-begonia-fibrous-begonia-1.jpg and the leaves look exactly like these leaves http://media.photobucket.com/image/begonias/bmbalbert/wildbegonia008.jpg ... hopefully the leaves will tell you the type of begonia.

are these plants in need of fertilizer? should i reroot them?

i hate to lose these as i've had the plant since the eraly 80's!

thanks for any help you can offer me.

tom

Comments (5)

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i just looked at the leaves. they are pinkish/reddish around the border of the entire leaf with the inner part of the leaf a pale yellowish green. so about 60% pinkish/reddish and 40% yellowish green.

i have been remiss about watering for many weeks, could this be a reaction to lack of water? gosh, these plants look terrible as far as the color, normally they are a dark vigorous green with all the white spots. the canes are not droopy so they do not look like they need water so i don't water. maybe i let them get too dry?

tom

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

I think it's Begonia Lucerna, but I could be wrong.

I'd have to say the only thing I can think of that could be causing your problems is the old soil. Soil begins to break down when it's about a year old as it begins to harbor bacteria. Not only can this bacteria make the plant ill, but the soil breaking down actually packs the soil making it difficult, if not impossible for the roots to breathe.

I'd say repot with new soil that is porous. You may have to mix your own. Some use 1 part peat, 1 part (unmulched) bark and 1 part perlite. Some use 50/50% peat and perlite. Some people also use peat, vermiculite, perlite and maybe some bark. Vermiculite breaks down *much faster* than even premixed bags of soil. Perlite is fine to work with, but take caution and be sure to dampen it well before you work with it so you don't breath the dust - it is cancerous.

Currently, I am using a soiless mix. I use 1 part crushed granite: 1 part (unmulched) pine bark: 1 part Turface MVP. This mix offers plenty of air and has great water retention to provide the roots consistant moisture. It's very cost effective, however, using a soiless mix means you *have* to fertilize.

I have read other people use an even 10-10-10 or 20-20-20 fertilizer with each watering at half strength each watering. Make sure you leech once every three or four waterings (water with plain water) to prevent the build up of salts (this is for any soil).

Whatever you decide that works best for you, good luck and please keep us updated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soiless mix info

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i thought i explained this well but i failed! the "old soil" is old in the sense the potting soil was bought a few years ago and it was the last of the potting soil from the bag. it was not old in the sense that i had plants growing in it for years. there was no fertilizer in the potting soil. it is quite dry and not tightly packed.

as i mentioned i seldom fertilizer any house plants as they all grow, out grow, their containers and their space all too fast. i seldom if ever fertilized the begonia as i had it from say 1982 to present. i seldom re potted the "mother" plant so the original plants were in the same potting soil for several years with no problem. when i cut back the original plants and took cuttings they grew fine in whatever i put them in - that old mix or new mix.

i do not think the potting soil i used is at fault because it is a few years old as it was never used by another plant. i do suspect lack of watering or need for fertilizer.

any more ideas?

thank you,

tom

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Hi Tom,

If you have fish the Begonias like a drink of the fish water when you clean the tank/bowl. I have had the best results with that. Otherwise, a Miracle Grow (or any other) fertilizer for general use is fine too. Since you rarely fertilize, I'd say to start off slowly - half strength the first two or three times - then step it up to full strength. If you're using the fish water, using it at full strength is fine.

No, I don't think it would be your soil that has been on the shelf longer. Sometimes the soil that's on the shelf a long time tends to get mold or something like that, but you'd most likely see it before you use it for your plants.

I hope this helps your begonia before it's too late.

• TJG911
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i use neptune's harvest fish emulsion for the garden so i'll try this.

tom