Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

How tall will my Begonia luxurians get (contest)

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

There's nearly a month to go in Spring, and already my Begonia luxurians, including its pot, has hit the 6 foot mark. Over the last couple months it has been growing at the rate of about a foot a month. I live in a pretty mild climate, 25 miles South of San Francisco, so I get more heat than they do (average upper 70s in the summer), but rarely extreme heat. Due to the quirks of local geography, last winter, a fairly cold one, was frost-free. All of these combine to prooduce the potential for growing a decent-sized plant.

Here's the plant today, along with a few other inhabitants of my jungle:

{{gwi:432778}}

The plant is now 5 ft 3 inches (63 inches) above the surface of the pot. This compares with 3 ft 6 inches (42 inches) at the beginning of April. Here's a comparison:

{{gwi:432779}}

The plant is in a pot that is only 2 or 3 gallons. At the moment I'm supporting 6 canes with a combination of four 6-foot and two 4-foot bamboo stakes. I will extend the stakes if necessary, but I'm disinclined to insert any new stakes longer than 6 ft.

I'm looking for guesses as to how tall this will end up. I'm going to follow this at least through the end of the year.

However, I thought it would be fun to turn this into a contest. For the purposes of the contest. I'm curious of guesses, to the nearest inch, of the height of the tallest cane above the pot as of October 15.

Whoever gets closest on October 15th I'll send the following for the price of shipping. Note that the pots are small so as to minimize shipping costs.

{{gwi:432780}}

Comments on the plants that I'll send for shipping (in the U.S. of course):

The Begonia luxurians has weak rooots only at the moment. Begonia 'Freddie' is propagated via a rooted leaf sector. The Rudy's luxurians is a fresh cutting that I'm rooting in perlite. The Calla 'Hercules' is of course the one non-Begonia. A freshly sprouted bulbil, it will hopefully grow considerably over the next few months.

If any of the plants have problems over the next few months, I'll attempt to replace them, with the same if possible.

If you want to guess, but are not interested in the plants for postage, please do. Feel free to pass the plants on to a person of your choice.

So the height starts today at 63 inches above the pot. How tall will the tallest cane be on October 15th?

Comments (44)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about make a (single) guess through the end of June. I'll try to follow the progress of this plant roughly monthly.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Are we playing Price is Right rules?

10 years ago

Hi Mark,

What an interesting and beautiful plant! It sure is growing like gangbusters! My guess for Oct 15 is a height of 97 inches or 8' 1".

You are too much fun!

Carol in Jacksonville

• michael1846
    10 years ago

My gess is 103inches I love your plant

• michael1846
    10 years ago

My gess is 103inches I love your plant

• Mrs.FlowerJunkie
    10 years ago

Love the plant!!! I will venture to guess 115 inches.

10 years ago

Hi Mark, how are the babies doing? Would you please update us on progress when you get time? I have learned more about B. luxurians since you first posted this thread - it is an amazing, beautiful begonia!

Carol in Jacksonville

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Begonia luxurians is up to 6' 4" or 6' 5" (I need to start using a ladder to get it right), or 76-77 inches. The leaves are huge, and I'll get a photo of that soon.

Here's a picture of the smaller plants. Not too much growth on the Begonias. The Calla 'Hercules' would probably like more light, as is probably obvious. I can add a Begonia dregei 'Richardsiana' (x self ???) as I have a ton of those, that are getting bigger fast. I'll also likely be giving away B. boliviensis seeds. Maybe B. 'Paul Hernandez' will make seeds...

Left to right: Calla 'Hercules', Begonia 'Freddie', B. luxurians, B. 'Rudy's luxurians'.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, on the "other" garden site, someone reports that B. 'Paul Hernandez' doesn't make seed. It seems to be holding most of its pods, so far. A couple did fall, and when I opened them I found a white substance that appeared granular, sparkly even. I assumed these were immature seeds (?).

Probably I should post the question separately, but I thought I should add that since I did mention the possibility of seeds.

10 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for the update! Looks like the Big B has slowed down a little: that is only 8 inches in the past month. It put on 21 inches in the first 54 days - roughly 10 inches a month. That is in keeping with my begonias - really, all of my plants - that explode with growth the first few warm months of the year. I know the contest is closed, but I wonder now if we all overestimated? When I made my guess, I tried to compensate for the eventual slow-down, but it looks like not enough.

I don't know much about begonias and seed. I have never started any from seed. I have only purchased established plants and cuttings, which I subsequently rooted.. it will be interesting to see what P. Hernandez does and if anything in the pod is viable.

The smaller plants are all looking healthy and happy - you sure do have a green thumb.

Carol

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, I don't think it's slowing down. I measured it yesterday, and it was 6' 8", or 80 inches. I think that's the full month.

There are a few things going on, though. A different cane is now the tallest--I think there are three that are all within a few inches. The growth is not necessarily constant, as it corresponds to lengthening of the cane, the petiole, etc.

Finally, we've had really weird weather--either cool (usually) or very hot. Over the last month the average High/Low was 77/58. I'm guessing that average is probably not too far from ideal--possibly a couple degrees warmer than optimal, but most of our days have been cooler than that.

So I'm still hoping for close to 10 ft.

Here's the top of the plant 2 days ago: I think it looks deceptively small in the photo because the leaves are so huge.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here's how big a leaf is:

10 years ago

Wow! LOOK at those leaves! They are like umbrellas. Interesting how the various canes grow at different times and that they are trading places in the race for height. I'm sure you are right - that the weather has affected it, too. We have had a relatively "mild" June and July - rarely reaching the 90s - which is highly, highly unusual here in Jacksonville. Most days have been high in the range of 87-89 - crazy! We are used to getting 94-100 every day in June, July and August. Well, I will be watching the progress with interest.

Carol

• michael1846
    10 years ago

Looks like web are neck to neck if the cuttings get to big how are you going to ship them

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today the B. luxurians is 7 ft, 5 inches, or 89 inches tall above the pot. The amazing thing is the length of the internodes in the tallest cane. I measured 15 and 17 inches for the longest two a few days ago. So each additional leaf can add more than a foot to the height. There are still leaves coming. Strangely, I've seen no sign of buds on the plant.

Our weather over the last month has been a little cooler than normal during the day, warmer than normal at night: 73/57. No rain, of course...

I think the only free plant that has any potential to get too big to easily ship is the 'Rudy's Luxurians'. It's not big yet, but is vigorous, and in bud. If it gets too big it can probably be cut back. I doubt this will happen.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a weird summer. Earlier we had heat waves, but this is it for our high temperatures from July 11-August 11, measured at out tiny local airport (1.3 miles away).

High of 71 F: 11 days
    73 F: 6 days
    75 F: 5 days
    69 F: 3 days
    68 F: 3 days
    82 F: 2 days
    77 F: 2 days

I suspect our "summer" will come in September and early October.

10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the update! That plant just knows no bounds, does it! When I first read, I thought it had passed my guess - I had to scroll up to see what I had predicted - but it seems like we are all still in the running. That will make it very exciting!

Some of my begonias are not blooming at all this year - I think too much fish emulsion - which is all nitrogen - could that do it? I have great healthy, huge cane begonias with no blooms at all.

Boy, June and July were delightful but August brought in the furnace. We have been 95 or higher for the last couple weeks. Today is going to be 97 with a heat index of 113. Good grief. Can't wait for some cooler weather. Rain predicted for end of this week which will bring it down about 10 degrees.

Hope you are enjoying all of your gardening!

Carol

10 years ago

Interesting to watch the numbers. (Appears there was something wonky with the measurement for July 7: too low.) Eager for the next set of values!

Carol

{{gwi:432781}}

10 years ago

Mark, I'm hoping you are going to throw us a bone on Wednesday and tell us the current height! Wednesday, September 11 will mark a month since your last measurement data. This is getting so exciting!

Carol

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Carol,

I did measure it this morning, when I approached it from behind to cut back the Arbutus (strawberry tree) it threatens to collide with. It definitely seems that approaching it from that side (a higher ground level behind the fence) on a a ladder, gives the most accurate measurement.

As of today, the height is 8' 5'' (or 101 inches) above the level of soil in the pot. The reason that it is growing fast right now is that the internodes (spaces between leaves) on the tallest cane have been well over a foot. This distance is much longer than on the other canes. I will back this up with pictures and additional measurements when I get a chance.

I would caution against making too much of differences between closely spaced measurements. I have never suggested that the error in measurements is less than an inch or so, in fact giving measurements at the inch implies this. So it's wise to assume that a measurement of 101 inches actually means 100-102 inches. That should be obvious. If a measurement one day is "x" inches (realistically "x-1" to "x+1") and several days later "x+3" (or ("x+2" to "x+4"), all that can be said is that it grew during that period. I would also emphasize that the growth should in no way be expected to be constant, or linear. The height is the sum of the total internodes, plus the length of the uppermost petiole (at whatever angle), plus whatever extra few inches the top leaflet might give things. Since the elongation of the internodes and the top petiole would not be expected to be constant, this introduces variability. Additionally, the tilt of the uppermost leaf can easily add or subtract and inch or two to the height of the plant.

The little B. 'Rudy's Luxurians' is blooming, and I need to get a photo...

This post was edited by mark4321 on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 1:12

10 years ago

Thanks for the latest data! It is too weird, I realize, that I have a spreadsheet on someone else's plant.

Yeah, I figured that the measurements were approximations and even before starting this, I would never expect the growth to be linear. It's been fun and, for the most part, growth rates have panned out as expected. It will be exciting to see how it ends up. If it puts on another 10-12 inches in the remaining 36 days, looks like Mrs.FlowerJunkie will win the contest. I had incorrectly anticipated a slow-down where apparently none has occurred! Even when you posted all of those cool temps in August I thought, aha, that will slow things up... but nope, not at all! I can't wait to see the photos! Great job with this plant!

Carol

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Mark, I am GREEN with ENVY.

A few years ago,, when I first saw B. luxurians, I wanted one. So, I browsed, hunted, searched until my eyes were red.

It took a year before finding luxurians, or what was sold as luxurians.

Guess what? It was NOT the correct luxurians..The Begonia was luxurians 'Stewart,' big difference. They have thicker leaves.

So, back to hunting.

I finally found a true, B. luxurians, ordered two.

Well, they both died. This happned summer 2011, when temps were 98-104F I blamed their early demise on the heat.

Again I hunted..Found a seller on Ebay. Ordered another two. Both were extremely healthy, thick trunked. Absolutely gorgeous.

Don't know what went wrong, but they too died. Faster than the first two.

I'm not a giver-upper, but for some reason I can't keep luxurians. Even if I found another, doubt I'd buy one or two. :(

Yours is the prettiest I'd ever seen. Perhaps, your climate helps, but all four I purchased were ordered and delievered in summer...our summers are usually warm/hot and humid. So, temps were not the reason they died.

Thanks for sharing...Toni

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Gosh! I can't believe I missed this contest. that's what I get for not reading the forums much and working on my dissertation work lol. I'm too late to fairly enter since I didn't start when everyone else did. Maybe next year! Just for fun though, I'm going to toss out a 119" guess. :P

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni and Julianna,

Thanks for both of your comments. If there's anything mentioned here (including B. luxurians) that is of interest, please let me know. Besides those, and in addition to some beautiful Begonia dregei seedlings, I recently got a collection of Begonia cuttings and leaves from a friend. It's amazing how many Rex Begonia plants can be derived from a single huge leaf!

Toni, my best understanding of Begonia luxurians is that it's basically a cool grower, but from the warm end of cool. Thus our 75/55 summers may be close to ideal. I always wonder about plants that thrive in chilly (even to us) San Francisco, yet are more or less absent from the rest of the country, including Florida. Begonia luxurians is carried by at least 3 of the wholesalers in the state (I'm including Annie's Annuals), is fairly easy to find, and reasonably cheap. It is in no way commonly used in landscaping, though. My impression is that it is hard to come by in Florida. With some searching, one can find limited reports of it being grown there, but concrete information seems hard to come by. I get the impression that it survives a Florida summer, if one is lucky, whereas it thrives in Coastal California.

So would B. luxurians struggle with the heat and warm nights of a Midwestern summer? My guess is yes. It is from intermediate elevations in Southern Brazil, not the steamy low elevation tropics close to the equator. So I think this would make sense.

When I first bought the plant last Spring, it came as 4 plants in a ~2 gallon pot for $22. The largest one became the big plant pictured here. The next biggest ultimately ended in the ground, where it is now over 6 feet tall (and perhaps due for a picture). Next largest went to Karyn K. in MD. I didn't ask about this one, but I know with a previous plant (from Kartuz, I think) she had no apparent problems with summer heat. Typically, the skill of a grower cannot overcome an unfavorable climate. Those who know Karyn might think otherwise.

It's disturbing that so many sellers seem able to "mistake" other plants, typically hybrids, for the very unique Begonia luxurians.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

It grows okay for me in Georgia but it is not what I would call an easy plant. I've had a few over the years and always seem to lose it in the past in the winter. Maybe it is my watering through the winter that does it in - too much or too little.

My latest one is close to four feet tall and I've had it 2 or 3 years now. I've never had luck in propagating it from leaf but a broken top out of one of the smaller shoots rooted without much fanfare this summer.

While a really cool weird begonia, I hate it for its height because we must move plants indoors or a greenhouse (if one is so lucky to have) and it is hard to find vertical space and proper light for it through the winter months (my ceilings in the basement are 8 feet so I had to top my 15 year old ponytail palm this summer since it was hitting the ceiling last winter). Also blooms ten feet or more is not where most people would like the blooms to be for a closer inspection.

The one thing I have done with this one that may bear some light (or not) on its care is it seems to love water more than I thought it would and I have kept this one in a fairly small clay pot for excellent drainage. It gets a couple of hours of full sun around noon and does not seem fazed in the least except when it gets a little too dry.

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

The leaves are neat but the height is not a great trait for houseplants..

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning Everyone,

Mark,

After a few Begonias lux were purchased, 'including from Kurtaz,' B. luxurians sent were stewert/stuart.
    Stewart has thicker foliage.
    I was so upset when the wrong plant arrived. One seller told me, as the plant matures, leaves thin. WRONG...

I later discovered, Stewart, is a cultivar..therefore Begonias were not the standard luxurians I wanted..
    Don't know how people can lie!

Then, I found another seller on Ebay with the real deal. I ordered, and sure enough, it was THE B. luxurians.
    This was spring 2010.
    Turned out, summer 2010 was the hottest ever. 99F and higher.
    Well, my beautiful but young B. luxurians kicked the bucket.

The following year, I found the same seller...ordered two more.
    Trunks were thick..2-3" diameters. Thick for young plants. Problem, each had one frond. I knew something wasn't right from the get-go.
    Neither Begonia grew..Roots were lacking.
    I didn't know this at first,, so automatically left seller Positive feedback..BTW. I do not like leaving neg feedback..
    I recently found the seller, but he has 0 items for sale.

Oh well, guess I wasn't meant to have B lux. :(

Mark, I was sooo happy when I found luxurian at Annie's. Then when it came to shipping....25.00!!!

At first, I thought it was a typo so I emailed Annie's. It was no mistake. The person who replied suggested I and a few neighbors buy plants and split shipping costs. lol.
    My neighbors hate plants.

I agree with you, Mark.. B. luxurians suffer in prolonged periods of 90+F.
    The first did well during winter..yep, I'm in the midwest where winters are cold and dry, summers 'can be' very hot and humid.

Karyn and I go way back..She's a gem.
    So, she now has luxurians? Bet she's happy.

Mark, would you mind sharing the nursery you purchased your luxurians? One more try wouldn't hurt..lol.

Yes, it's more than ashame sellers don't know their plants..and have the nerve to sell them. Especially if it's intentional. Sad!

Anyway, your luxurians are beautiful...I'm envious. lol.

Na, actually, I'm happy someone can keep luxurians. It's such a beauty. Thanks for sharing photos.

Dole..You have luxurians, too??? My goodness. :)

Would you say luxurians is a slow-grower?

Since your ceilings are 8', what will you do when luxurians reaches the ceiling?

Is your luxurians by the fence in a container or in-ground? It looks taller than 4'. Pretty, too.

I once purchased lux seeds from a guy in England. They never germinated. Boohoo. lol.

Those of you who have luxurians, are lucky..especially if they're growing. :)

Have a great day..Toni

P.S. Was their a contest and if so, who won? :)

• hc mcdole
    10 years ago

thor,

B. luxurians is not a slow grower but not a great grower either - at least in GA. It is about four feet since the fence is five feet. It is in a small clay pot along with a sick looking rhizomatous that was almost lost this past winter. I doubt I would ever let this plant grow to 8 feet but I seriously doubt this one would anyway. I'd rather keep it compact and bushy but so far I am letting it grow.

Here is another picture of the full plant by itself.

• Woebegonia
    10 years ago

Toni, do you recall I tried growing B. luxurians from seeds about two years back? I had pretty good germ. (Austrialian seeds) but they died back to just one and for about a year it sat there looking at me. However, in July, at two years old, it has started moving and is now about 4 inches tall.I found a good container, some hardware stores carry replicas of the old Ball glass canning jars, I have two ,one about l4" tall and the other l8" so I should have no problem growing it on for awhile.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today is October 15th, still, in CA. The big news is that the growth rate has slowed way down as the plant prepares to bloom. I think all of the canes have buds right now.

So the current height is "only" 8' 8", or 104 inches. Michael1846 is the closest, even if I'm way off on my measurements (which are tricky at this point).

Below is a photo of the top of. I'm not sure if you can see where the fence ends, a couple inches up.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of the contest plants. Some have gotten tall, especially 'Rudy's Luxurians', but all are in small pots and reasonably lightweight.

From left to right: 'Rudy's Luxurians', Begonia luxurians, Begonia 'Freddie', Calla 'Hercules'.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Below is one of the shorter canes showing buds. I'd like to focus next on making some seeds, initially by self-pollination.

I posted on the Facebook "Planet Begonia" site asking if the plant was self-fertile. Patrick Worley responded: " B. luxurians is self fertile, better when hand pollinated". So that's what I'll try. Since I expect to have a number of inflorescences, I hope to have no shortage of male and female flowers open at the same time.

This post was edited by mark4321 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 0:35

10 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for the final results. What a great contest! Thank you for entertaining us all this summer.

Your plant is gorgeous and it will be exciting to see it bloom! Please post photos when it does. All the small plants look so healthy, too. You sure know what you are doing with begonias.

Just for fun, here is the updated spreadsheet.

Carol

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael1846, I was about to contact you to see how you wanted things shipped, but I can't find an email address. If for some reason there are plant(s) you don't want, I can offer them to the others who guessed.

Toni, I didn't answer your question about where I got the plant. It was from a very small (but extremely nice) retail nursery in Santa Cruz called DIG Gardens. It's fairly close to the downtown area in Santa Cruz. The wholesaler, I believe, was Monterey Bay Nursery. The plant is now carried by several wholesalers in California, and can usually be found at the better nurseries in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Carol, I'm hoping it will put on a nice show when it blooms. The individual flowers are pretty small, but the overall effect is nice. Below is a much shorter plant in bloom at Annie's Annuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: website of DIG Gardens Nursey in Santa Cruz

10 years ago

WOW! Mark, I had no idea they bloomed like that! That is beautiful. It's way more than I expected. Boy, that really makes it worth getting one.

I visited the DIG Gardens Nursery, too. Thanks for the link. What a cool place! I wish it were around the corner. I would be in there every afternoon.

Carol in Jacksonville

• michael1846
    10 years ago

im sorry i cannot take the plants i actually entered just because i am a plant freak i would prefer you keep the plants because it is constantly freezing here thank you all the best~
    michael

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michael, it's not a problem at all--I can just send them to the next closest person, who I believe is Carol (love_the_yard) at 97 inches. Assuming she is interested.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Mark, wait, what? How did I miss your reply? LOL! Well how could you even ask if there was anything of interest. Of course I have interest in just about everything you've ever mentioned, in the history of ever lol. Your luxurians cutting that you sent me is living and has finally put out a new leaf or two. So I'm guessing it's feeling comfortable now :)

I just won a B. nelumbiifolia on eBay. It has yet to arrive, but I have high hopes for it. If you want to talk about stuff, I'd totally love to do that :) I've acquired some new streptocarpella that aren't even on the market anymore as far as I can tell, and who knows what else. I feel badly as your plant collection is just so darn amazing and mine sucks so much in comparison lol!

I bet Carol is going to be so excited! This was an excellent contest. You're so generous and fun to do it.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Juliana,

I was about to email you tonight, actually. It must be getting late there, though. I'll send some pictures first, and then explain them..

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I feel like we should sing some king of song about serendipity. :) It is getting late here-- 11pm. Am thinking I'll go to bed soon. Tomorrow I need to help the department prepare for the accreditation people to come to our university next week and make sure we're not a crazy place of no learning or standards. :P I feel like I should be kind of awake for that, but yet I am still looking at plant stuff online lol. I'll look forward to your e-mail!

10 years ago

Mark,

Thanks so much for your very kind offer. Wow, that just really makes my day! I have about 12 different begonias, but none of the same ones as in your contest. So this would be a real thrill for me! I sent you a private email for mailing address and payment questions. (And thank you, too, Michael!)

Mark, thank you again for your generosity!
    Carol in Jacksonville

• iochroma
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I realize this is an ancient and moribund thread, but I was researching the ultimate height of luxurians, and came accross this. Long ago when I was a volunteer at Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco there was a huge luxurians growing behind the County Fair Building. I took a picture of it with my friend at the base for a sense of scale; he is 5’8”, and we estimated that the plant was 18’ tall from my picture. That pic was lost in a flood, but a scan of it was circulated before I lost the original.

The plant has disappeared.

If anyone knows of a picture showing that plant please say so.

A recent discovery in Tibet of B. gigantica purports that the new sp. is the tallest, and I want to keep the bragging rights over here.

• hc mcdole
    2 years ago

I saw that recent picture of gigantica (not the tallest I've seen in begonias and this "new" begonia is odd and a tad ugly). Try baccata and parviflora for tall and big begonias.

Here is luxurians at one of the stops on the 2010 National Convention (part of UCB?) with Dr. Peng in the foreground. I would guess this begonia is 12 feet tall with the blooms.

Here is parviflora at the Atlanta Botanical Garden stretching across the path in the greenhouses (I would guess 18 feet long). I circled the entire plant except the part behind the scene where the roots are.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz