Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storage of Begonia pollen

Posted by bubba62 7b (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 4:21

I am hoping to make a cross of B. sutherlandii (blooming now) with B. grandis (which will bloom in late August). Both have proven fairly hardy here, and I'm hoping to expand the color range and increase the size and hardiness of sutherlandii. My question concerns the possibility of storing pollen from sutherlandii until the female flowers of B. grandis are ready to receive it. Does anyone have experience with this? I've stored orchid pollen for several months to facilitate crossing plants which bloom at different times; I put it in film canisters with silica gel packs and keep it in the fridge. Any thoughts as to whether this might work for begonias?

Also - does anyone know if any of the semperflorens group have been hybridized successfully with either of the above species? I'm growing a reliably hardy white clone (Plant Delights is selling it as "Barbara Rogers", but I got it from my grandmother almost 30 years ago), and would like to do some work with that as well.

Also - in a report from the Chelsea flower show, Graham Rice highlights a new strain of B. sinensis which is supposedly larger in all parts than B. grandis. I have two clones of sinensis, pink and white, and each is a much smaller and more delicate plant than grandis. Any info on this? I know these plants are probably all subspecies of each other, so there's bound to be some variation, but I found the size difference interesting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storage of Begonia pollen

bubba, I planted seeds of B. grandis in January to expand my clumps in the yard. I think they crossed with a semp on their own because the plants I have look like a semp with thickened leaves. They are blooming now and I don't know if that's from parentage or because the daylength is shorter for them now that they aren't under the grow lights and triggered flowering.The seed producing plants were close to several types of semps and a Maribel so I don't know exactly what the cross was. Anita

o
RE: storage of Begonia pollen

I know accidental crosses can occur - I have several plants from one such that happened between a masoniana (put outside for the summer) and grandis. It's not as attractive as either, and not nearly as hardy as grandis, so it's essentially useless, yet I can't bring myself to toss them out. It'll be interesting to see what yours turns out to be, if you ever figure out its parentage!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here