Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia

Posted by tkhooper 7a (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 8:19

Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery store. it is beautiful. But can you tell me how to care for it so it doesn't die.

How much water how often?
What kind of soil?
What kind of fertilizer how often?
Amount of sunlight?

All that kind of information please.

Thankyou for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia

Congrats on your new Dragon Wing begonia.

As for watering it depends on a lot of factors but the most important thing is to let it dry out slightly between watering. If planted in pots and left outdoors for summer, you may end up watering every day but the soil and plant should tell you when to water. When you do water, water to soak the soil (let it drain through).

The soil should be a quality potting mix that is fast draining. Perlite added to the mixture will help tremendously. You can also plant in good garden soil if you wish.

Fertilizer should be done on a regular basis. Some recommend using a water soluble fertilizer at 1/2 strength every time you water or once a week. Slow release granules are also a good option. I've used garden fertilizer at times but it shouldn't be used on young starter plants.

You will find that Dragon Wings is one of the best begonias for full sun. If planted in full sun, it should never dry out or it may burn. It is probably best to give it some filtered shade in late afternoon. I find noon time pleasant here but after 2 PM it gets pretty hot until close to sundown. At least in a pot you can move it to any location you want.

Here are some I had in a flower bed last year.

In a pot:

On a hot deck a few years ago in a coir lined rack:

o

HCMcDole knows his stuff about begonias... altho I planted mine in the ground in a bed and I was thrilled with the result. They were quite easy - I did water frequently because they were in a fair amount of sun...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was a 3" by 18" 'window box' on the shed... I had a few extra plants (3) I thought I'd throw them in and I NEVER took care of them - dried out, etc. and they still looked GOOD!

Photobucket

I'm not knocking what was suggested, but they can also take a beating too.

o

What about pruning? I have been keeping my first one of these plants all winter. It's doing well but it isn't full and lush like the photos posted here. How can I produce a fuller plant?

o

Once the weather warms up, take it outside in some bright shade. It will fill in over the summer. Regular fertilizing helps but don't over do. I have had success with Ironite or 1/4 strength miracle gro. They also do well planted directly in the ground but that makes it a little more difficult to bring in.

o

Pruning can make for a thicker plant and can cause new growth to emerge from below the soil; basal growth. I read somewhere that some dragon wings if not pruned early will never have thick / bushy growth. I have had some that I didn't prune and they did just fine.
Also if they get directly overhead light they grow tall and narrower but if they recieve the light from the side they will grow wider.

In my experience babywing begonia are more vigorus, drought tolerant and can take more sun than dragonwings they also recover from winter much quicker.

Don't get me wrong I still like dragon wings. If you view them as more like succulents that thrive on the edge of neglect rather than tropical plants you will have succes.

Brad's Begonia World has alot of information on Begonias a tip the info on Dragon wings used to be under Cane begonias.

Family

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here