Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Hardy Begonias in Buffalo, NY

krazyaroider
16 years ago

I thought that I would share with you the result of experimenting with hardy begonias in the ground ~ B. Sp. 'Barbara Rogers', B.Ravenii BSWJ1954, B. cucullata coll.#A1AG-286 and B. grandis 'Heron's Pirouette' plus another form of B. grandis that I received from a gardener in Oklahoma that has a deep red on the back of the leaves. I had snow cover from mid January to March. I mulch with leaves just in case the rare occasion we do not get snow as we can get brutal cold...

Although, they have not began their growing season, their tubers or rhizomes appear to be alive...

I also have B. boliviensis and B. hemslyana in pots at this time. when they produce offsets, then they will try "outdoor' living.

My source is Plant Delights Nursery.

Thank you,

Gerry Olma

Hamburg, NY 14075 - Zone 6

Comments (8)

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

The experience of people who try to expand the boundaries of what we can grow where is very important. It doesn't mean as much when I can grow begonias outside here in the swamps of Louisiana! In fact, some of those begonias don't do as well for me as they do for you. I have had B. grandis for some years, but I don't think it will ever do as well here as it does for you--it's too hot and humid. On the other hand I often put extra plants or un-named ones outside and they do very well. Some may freeze back, and the coldest winter we've had since I've been here some didn't come back 'til August (which kinda discouraged me from doing it as much!) but as it gets warmer they do better. Just canes and rhizomatous usually.

• Datdog
    16 years ago

I like to push the limits as well but I'm in zone 6b so not as cold as you. If you find you have extra Begonia hemsleyana I'd love to trade with you. I have several different types I've collected over the years. Here is a very large one I've picked up along the way.

{{gwi:432900}}

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

Gerry, any update on your begonias? I've just purchased some of the same ones from PDN; most are rated as hardy to zone 7b, which is still a bit marginal for me. BTW I'm originally from Hamburg area myself! I've considered bringing my sister some B. grandis as she has a spot where they might do well-is this species reliably hardy up there?

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My update as of September 6th -
    B. Sp. 'Barbara Rogers' original plant died and I think all my seedlings are B. cucullata as they look similar.

B.Ravenii BSWJ1954 - growing in ground, but I am thinking about potting it up as the drought has caused it not to be as vigorus as last year.

B. cucullata coll.#A1AG-286 - original plant died, but have seedlings coming up in pots that I move in for the winter. I have other plants in these pots, so I transfer the begonias into thier own pots.

B. grandis 'Heron's Pirouette' Doing well, but have to water as we are having a drought. Beginning to bloom.

B. grandis that I received from a gardener in Oklahoma that has a deep red on the back of the leaves. - same as above

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DATDOG ~
    "If you find you have extra Begonia hemsleyana I'd love to trade with you. I have several different types I've collected over the years. Here is a very large one I've picked up along the way."

Sounds good, My B. hemsleyana is growing vigorously, but not sure how to propagate it successfully - any tips??

What is that large one in the pic? I will take that in a trade.

I would like to give you at least two just to be sure they "take"

• nyvickie
    16 years ago

So now I have hope! I have a hardy begonia I got from a neighbor in South Carolina. I brought it to Queensbury (north of Saratoga) as seed and I have 5 little plants still going! It is on the south side of the house - what can I do to ensure I don't loose it? save a few tubers or the little bulbs? I have not been able to get it to go to seed up here yet. I really would hate to loose it but I think it is supposed to be a bad winter. Any tips?

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forget seeds...
    Save the small bulbils on the stems and keep in soil during winter, do not water and put outside in March/April when temps are not savagely low! This way you will ensure that you will have Hardy Begonias. Mulch the bulbs in the garden with leaves, pine boughs...
    This has worked well for me.
    Do a google using Hardy Begonia - a lot of information...

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

About propping B. hemslyana--I haven't tried this one specifically, but have started several others with the same very lobed leaves (I'm sure there's a name for that, but I don't remember!) and they grow just fine like leaf cuttings of any of the rhizomatous types, only they're already cut! I have even cut some of the larger 'fingers' in half and started them. Pretty sure hemslyana would start the same way--I like to put them in an enclosed space, either a terrarium or even a plastic bag, and usually do 'em in Sphagnum moss. Good stuff for cuttings I think might be prone to rot.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County