Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skck1

anglewing begonia problems

skck1
16 years ago

I am new to anglewing begonias. I bought 16 small plants from various nurseries on-line and 4 off Ebay. Well one I apparently overwatered from reading your forum, and am left with a 2 inch bare stem. I cut off the shrivled part. It is green though, so I am hoping it will sprout a new leaf. I repotted it with lots of perlite and have it under a plant light as well as about half of the other begonias. I have the light about 16 inches away from the plants. I just moved them under the plant light yesterday. NEXT PROBLEM: I have about 9 plants that I thought were doing well BUT have developed small grey circles all over the leaves and then that part deteriates and leaves a hole. The grey spots are not fuzzy mold. Can anybody tell me what is wrong with my plants???? I am just sick about it. I paid alot of money for them and they are so pretty, and WERE doing so well. I used liquid miracle grow on them, but used it full strength. I am hoping somebody can help me !!!! THank you.

Comments (10)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Cover your begonias with some kind of plastic bag or 2 liter soda pop bottle (clear) and see if that helps (it may take a couple of weeks). The problem with canes is they can get so tall and it is much harder to give them the humidity they need indoors. Watch for mold and remove the cover when you see it become a problem (same for mealy bugs). Spray and let dry, then cover again. It sounds like you have some kind of fungal problem on your other canes - spray with a fungicide to control outbreaks and remove seriously infected leaves (sometimes removing them all is the best thing to do as this will encourage new growth).

Move them outdoors after your last frost date under shade. You can start edging them towards more light over a couple of weeks but you shouldn't have them in full afternoon sun (this isn't exactly true but why take chances). Feed them 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer once a week if you can. You should see very good growth during summer. Winter is always the hardest as light is poor, humidity is very poor, and fungal diseases are waiting for the right conditions to start growing.

• susancarol
    16 years ago

There is a disease called white powder mildew (I think)but I'm not sure how it's treated or if it is fatal for the plant. Sounds like it may be an overwatering problem, tho.
    I use clay pots with african violet soil and perlite. The clay helps with the overwatering problem. Good Luck. They're lovely plants!

Susan

• skck1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will try it. I noticed this morning that some of the leaves on various plants are crinkling and withering up from the outer edges in. I have one called Peach Parfiet, and the poor leaves have curled almost in half and the leaves look like they are drying up. I just received this plant about a week ago, and wonder if it is from shipping. It was so dried out when I received it.
    Again, I appreciate all the advice

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Don't despair over some damaged leaves. Sometimes even if the stem completely disappears doesn't mean it is dead (but chances are it probably is at this point). Anyway mine look like cr*p right now due to overwintering in the basement for six months but hopefully they will look like this in a few weeks after moving them back outdoors.

{{gwi:432208}}

• skck1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, I will quit worrying myself sick about them!

Thanks for the reassurance!

• loni_in_eek
    16 years ago

hcmcdole, what is the name of the beauty (green angelwing) at the upper left corner of this photo? My angelwing that is now healthy looks exactly like that plant but I never learned the name. Always such gorgeous pics of your plants!

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Loni,

I think the green tall one in the upper left corner of the previous picture is either albo-picta or 'Di-erna'. So many look alike that it's hard to tell them apart.

• loni_in_eek
    16 years ago

thanks for feedback

• harold_sink
    16 years ago

Okay, got a solution. Use qtips dipped in hydrogen peroxide on moldy leaves (yes it does work). Don't reaply with the same tip. Quickly and gently dry off the leaf with a cloth.

Begonias do better with half a day's sun in loamy soil and good drainage. Let the soil get dry between waterings to strengthen their roots. I haven't seen begonias do well in north Texas in the heat of the summer in direct sunlight unless they get watered early in the morning or late at night.

Hope you have better luck soon.

• skck1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Harold. I will try that. My plants are still aive and do not seem to be getting any worse - thank heavens. I believe I did lose the one that was severely overwatered - well the stem is all shriveled up and black, but I still am watering it "properly" and have it covered with a plastic bag. I am not giving up on it yet.