Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susancarol_gw

Cane Begonias in Virginia

susancarol
16 years ago

Hi Begonia Lovers,

Can anyone suggest any nurseries or greenhouses in Virginia to buy canes? I'm interested in the old, large type angel wing canes.

Thanks, Susan

Comments (7)

• susancarol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sob! Sob! No one knows of any place in Virginia?????

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Sounds like you will have to shop mail order like the rest of us. Have you checked with your local nurseries and big box stores?

• susancarol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, sure have but will continue the quest. :-)

Susan

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Here is what I found at Lowe's today. It says cane but it looks like boliviensis to me. I'm glad I stopped now.

{{gwi:432930}}

• orchids41
    16 years ago

I saw those at one of "my" Lowes, and, although I'm no expert, I didn't think it was a cane. I opined to myself that it might be a species. Do you think hummingbirds would like it? Trouble is, I have no place for hanging baskets, and this is obviously a 'hanger'. Gorgeous plant!!

I bought two little wax begonias today at Wal-Mart. Ordinarily, I can't stand them, but these had tags that said they were patented plants. They're very bushy, with miniature foliage and are covered with fully double, soft pink flowers. Charming, to say the least.

WHERE in Virginia are you located? It might help if you narrowed the area down. Of course, if you're like the rest of us plant nuts, you're willing to travel the entire state to get your "fix." judy

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Judy,

I bought 3 wax begonias today as well. Two bronze leaf - one red double bloom and the other was a pink double bloom. The 3rd one was a green leaf with apple color double blooms (white with a red tinge to it). I also got my Dragon Wings as well - they are so cheap now I decided not to overwinter them any more, just treat them as annuals.

Then my order came in from GHW - 8 weeks and most of the plants are pretty pitiful looking. This may be my last year ordering from them.

• susancarol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great looking plant!

I'm in Central Virginia and am planning to go to northern Virginia this weekend for plant shopping.

Those wax begonias are so pretty. I buy them but don't overwinter because I have so much stuff already. But they're very enjoyable thru the summer.

Susan

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County