Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Begonia beginner

Posted by kim1947 Z3 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 10:02

I just bought two tuberous begonias: Non-Stop Yellow and Go-Go Scarlet. I'm hoping to have them as houseplants since they're shade lovers. But that's all I know about them and can't find a good website or source here for basic information on how to keep them flowering; don't know what "canes" are; how to propagate; or whether I should remove spent blossoms? I'm hoping a couple of hours of afternoon sun will be sufficient? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Begonia beginner

Zone 3 sounds challenging for begonias. Most begonias love warmth, humidity, and filtered light. Tuberous can be more challenging than other types - usually they are killed from over watering and then the fact that they go dormant in winter so you have to take care of them differently in winter. There should be plenty of sites to show how to propagate tuberous but it's easier for me to buy them and treat them as annuals. Deadheading will keep any plant tidier but it also time consuming.

Cane begonias are just another category of begonias that have longer growth between nodes on their stems. They are also sometimes called "angel wings". Check out these sites for more information:

ABS

ABASTRO

Brad's Begonia

English Begonias

o
RE: Begonia beginner

Exactly the info I was looking for, thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here