Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantomaniac08

Rex Begonia and friend ID

plantomaniac08
9 years ago

I have been afraid of purchasing a Rex Begonia ever since reading about their "royal" nature. Well, I saw this one yesterday and couldn't resist. I'd like to know the cultivar name of this one and cultural requirements (Any special requirements; I've read that some want more light than others, etc.), if possible.

I went back this morning to pick up this second one. Way to jump in the deep end, eh? I realize all the leaves are small, so identification may be more limited, but I'd like an ID for this one too and information on cultural requirements. I believe this one is also a Rex?

{{gwi:432972}}

Thanks,
Planto

Edited to swap out pictures (new pictures are more clear)

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 16:02

Comments (15)

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

First one looks like Fedor. The second one is an oldie but I don't remember the name.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Fedor' it is!

Thanks for trying on the second one. Is it also a Rex?

Do either have special care requirements? I have both sitting in front of a South window on humidity trays ('Fedor') is about three feet away from the window and the "Oldie" is about two feet away.

Planto

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Yes the second one is a rex but does not get too big.

Special care - that is a loaded question. Keep them watered when they need it. I prefer to keep them in clay pots so they dry out quicker but that also means keeping an eye on wilt a lot more. A humidity dome may be called for in winter. If they defoliate, do not despair and think they need more water - they are resting and you need to cut back on water BUT do not let them dry out completely either. Easy peasy!!

Not sure what kind of windows you have but you can have them a lot closer to the window if they seem to be weak, stretching, etc. I keep some of mine right next to the window (southern exposure) but the windows are double paned...

Most of mine are under shop lights in winter and outdoors in summer. Here is a small sample from last summer.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hcmcdole,
    Thanks for the information. I did pot the first one (the bigger one) in a clay pot, but have it sitting inside of a glazed ceramic pot (double potted). I'm hoping that with the clay pot, it won't stay moist too long, but with sitting in the glazed ceramic pot, it won't dry out too fast. I don't have a clay pot on hand for the smaller one, so I hope that the plastic pot it's in will do so long as I'm good about not overwatering.

I have a South window, but that's it. I placed the bigger one about three feet away from the window and the smaller second one about two feet away. Is this ideal?

How should I go about watering during their growing season? Allow them to dry a little bit then water again? That's good to know that if they go "naked" not to freak out, haha.

Do you know the cultivar name of the smaller one?

Thanks for sharing a picture of yours, I've already gone overboard buying two (not being sure if I'll be able to keep them alive). You're tempting me to buy more though!

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:29

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

If the pot is not too large more than likely you will be okay if it is plastic. I have a mix of everything (plants and pots) and I have some failures along the way. That is okay as long as I have a lot more successes than failures.

Only you can tell if the distance to the window is ideal. It may take a few weeks to determine if they like their spot or not.

That is the rule of thumb on growing begonias - let them dry out some before watering again (you will find out over time how they behave). A lot of folks advise you to stick your finger in an inch to determine if there is enough moisture or not. I don't do that - too many plants. I may do it once in a great while if something doesn't look right. You can usually tell by the look of the surface soil. Of course wilt is a telltale sign. If you watered it a day ago and it is wilting then more than likely it is rotting... That is another matter altogether.

No, I said I didn't know the name of the second rex. Tell you the truth it looks like you might have two different ones in the second photo. The asymmetrical leaves remind me of a young Hugh McLaughlin.

Here is one of my younger Hugh plants.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, your information is very helpful! I apologize, I did read that you said you didn't remember the name of the second one. I don't know why I asked again. Brain fart, lol.

I will keep an eye on both of them and see if the lighting they're receiving is adequate and adjust if necessary.

Is it better to have shallower pots with these? I apologize, I meant to ask that in my last post.

I was curious anout the second one, I was also wondering if it had two different plants in the same pot, but I'm as novice as they come with Begonias, so I was unsure.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 22:13

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Shallow pots are good but not necessary. Less soil means faster drying time. Good for squat plants but if you had a tall plant then it might tip over since there would be less weight. Pros and cons.

Don't get discouraged if a begonia goes into a tailspin. It happens but you learn if you keep at it.

Just potted up nearly 90 begonias I propagated the last few months. Don't know why I do this...

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks for the information. I was reading about shallow pots but was unsure if it was necessary. Lol, I'll keep positive if something happens. Wow, 90!? That's only three times the amount of plants I own altogether...

Planto

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

It takes me a week to move everything outdoors (six hours a day) and probably twice that to move them back indoors in late October. Just a few...

Here is a small sample of what is out there (left side). Right side is almost as crowded and then I have two more areas where I have begonias.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my... You certainly have more patience than I do lol. I love your collection of ferns. The only one I recognize is what looks like a 'Bird's Nest Fern'?

Planto

• Woebegonia
    9 years ago

Is Rex 'Fedor' Russian? It look very much like a small form of so-called Rex 'Silver Cloud' which has much larger leaves.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Is it because of the name Joan? I have not seen any Russian hybrid begonias but that would not surprise me.

Here is a big silver rex looking begonia - Judy Cook beside valida.

• plantomaniac08
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the one to the left. It seems that most of the Begonias we get here are Rexes or your run of the mill Wax Begonia.

Planto

• Woebegonia
    9 years ago

Yes, because of the name, but I don't know that they are in to begonias other than the fact that they have at least 3 sites all devoted to begonias, but none there appear to be Russian in origin. I know they are working and selling African Violetsl.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

A lot of those Russian sites have "stolen" photos off the web. I told Bill in Houston that they ripped off most of the ABSASTRO site of their photos.

I think they even took some of mine.

Here is a tray of cuttings from stems and leaves that I've kept going for months. Simple aluminum tray with holes punched in the bottom and filled with Miracle Gro Potting Mix. The rest is watering and lights...

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida