Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aqr32583

Please help me find Pink Charm Begonia

aqr32583
13 years ago

I had a hanging basket of this begonia years ago. It was a gift from my husband and finding another would really brighten my life right now. I've searched all garden centers and nurseries around me here in NW Florida to no avail. I would be most appreciative for info on where I may be able to find one.

Thanks, Annette

Comments (15)

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

I don't know about 'Pink Charm'. Is it the same thing as 'Charm' - a semperflorens with variegated foliage? If so I remember our nursery had several a couple of weeks ago for a few dollars. I had it myself for a couple of years but it is hard to keep semps through winter due to mildew.

Here is my 'Charm' from last summer.

{{gwi:432975}}

• aqr32583
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that's it. Light green/white/yellow leaves with pink bloom. Looks so pretty! I went to Fairhope/Foley, Al today in hopes of finding it. No "Charm" for me yet. I'll keep trying tho. lol

• wanna_run_faster
    13 years ago

glasshouse works has it! I had one but lost it too. It was more white & green with pink flowers. I got the original from GH and miss it so much I just ordered a replacement.

Hcmcdole - whats that beauty in the front? Stunning!

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

Wanna, 'Island Magic' is the big dark one in front.

I bought 3 'Charm' this week for $3.50 each in 4 inch pots. I saw 'Red Charm' at another location but the leaves took on a red tone as well.

I wonder if the white and green one you are talking about is 'Calla Lily' begonia. There is one being sold on eBay now as well as 'Charm' but $14 is a bit much (this is with $6 added in for S&H).

• wanna_run_faster
    13 years ago

I googled the Calla Lily begonia -- it's another beauty! After looking back at my old pictures it was more yellow than white and was definitely charm. My original charm is definitely gone but I'm happy to see that quite a few tiny cuttings I had started before our cold snap this past winter are now starting to take off! Mostly in the past I've had angel wings or a dragonwing and have just recently branched out to rhizomous ones which I'm hoping to put into the landscape.

HCM - are your's in pots or in the landscape? Is Island Magic Rhizomous?

Annette, any luck so far finding charm?

• hc mcdole
    13 years ago

Wanna, all my begonias are in pots. I did put a few in raised beds last summer and may do some this year but for the most part they stay in pots for easy moving about the yard and back indoors for winter.

Island Magic is rhizomatous but is more an upright jointed rhizome.

• fernzilla
    13 years ago

I know what you mean about this species. I had a variegated Wax Begonia years ago (about 20) and until this year had never seen anymore. We have a really strange little nursery I discovered last year, hidden down in this gulley. You cannot see it from the road, as it's hidden by trees. You don't see the sign until you have almost passed the drive, as it is also hidden. They do not charge sales tax ( maybe that's why it so secretive) They don't take anything but cash or checks either. I found several Charm Pink and got them for 1.50 each, ans was ecstatic about them. I went back again and they had a few but they were in hanging baskets and were 9.00 (ouch) I didn't want to pay that. I went back again and found 4 more, that appeared to be freshly rooted cuttings. I am going to try and take cuttings and start some plants, so I can bring indoors this Winter. I really love them.

• aqr32583
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We just got back from Tallahassee where I was sure I could find my pink charm. No luck. I
    suppose i'll have to wait till next season.
    All was not lost however. Got to visit 2 new to me Goodwill thrift stores and came home with a toddler bed for my little grand daughter and it was only $16....

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I have a gorgeous Pink Charm, it's about 3 feet long in a hanging basket in my greenhouse. It's green and white with pink flowers. If you haven't found one yet, check out my webstore in the spring-
    www.gardensbykasha.ecrater.com. I hope to have some rooted by then! I'll post photos tomorrow of my begonia.

• Woebegonia
    12 years ago

HEMC - those double semp blossoms in your picture, are they from 'Charm'? I have never seen any forms of "Charm" with double blossoms before this.

• hc mcdole
    12 years ago

Woe, that is hCmc, not hEmc.

No the double blossoms are from another semp - either Lady Carol or Lady Frances? Whoops both of those are bronze leaf. It must be Cherry Blossom since the leaves are green.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Here's the Pink Charm photo I promised-
    it's better than ever since I moved it into my greenhouse.
    {{gwi:432976}}

{{gwi:432978}}

• scsva
    12 years ago

Accents for Home and Gardens has this for $4.95.

Hope this helps.

Susan

• eahamel
    12 years ago

I've seen Charm at local nurseries, so look at some of them in your area.

• aqr32583
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I FOUND SOME! I was lucky enough to come across a small nursery on the other side of town and found a whole flat of small healthy plants. I bought five. :)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County