Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me find Pink Charm Begonia

Posted by aqr32583 NW Florida (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 10:22

I had a hanging basket of this begonia years ago. It was a gift from my husband and finding another would really brighten my life right now. I've searched all garden centers and nurseries around me here in NW Florida to no avail. I would be most appreciative for info on where I may be able to find one.

Thanks, Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me find Pink Charm Begonia

I don't know about 'Pink Charm'. Is it the same thing as 'Charm' - a semperflorens with variegated foliage? If so I remember our nursery had several a couple of weeks ago for a few dollars. I had it myself for a couple of years but it is hard to keep semps through winter due to mildew.

Here is my 'Charm' from last summer.

o

I think that's it. Light green/white/yellow leaves with pink bloom. Looks so pretty! I went to Fairhope/Foley, Al today in hopes of finding it. No "Charm" for me yet. I'll keep trying tho. lol

o

glasshouse works has it! I had one but lost it too. It was more white & green with pink flowers. I got the original from GH and miss it so much I just ordered a replacement.

Hcmcdole - whats that beauty in the front? Stunning!

o

Wanna, 'Island Magic' is the big dark one in front.

I bought 3 'Charm' this week for $3.50 each in 4 inch pots. I saw 'Red Charm' at another location but the leaves took on a red tone as well.

I wonder if the white and green one you are talking about is 'Calla Lily' begonia. There is one being sold on eBay now as well as 'Charm' but $14 is a bit much (this is with $6 added in for S&H).

o

I googled the Calla Lily begonia -- it's another beauty! After looking back at my old pictures it was more yellow than white and was definitely charm. My original charm is definitely gone but I'm happy to see that quite a few tiny cuttings I had started before our cold snap this past winter are now starting to take off! Mostly in the past I've had angel wings or a dragonwing and have just recently branched out to rhizomous ones which I'm hoping to put into the landscape.

HCM - are your's in pots or in the landscape? Is Island Magic Rhizomous?

Annette, any luck so far finding charm?

o

Wanna, all my begonias are in pots. I did put a few in raised beds last summer and may do some this year but for the most part they stay in pots for easy moving about the yard and back indoors for winter.

Island Magic is rhizomatous but is more an upright jointed rhizome.

o

I know what you mean about this species. I had a variegated Wax Begonia years ago (about 20) and until this year had never seen anymore. We have a really strange little nursery I discovered last year, hidden down in this gulley. You cannot see it from the road, as it's hidden by trees. You don't see the sign until you have almost passed the drive, as it is also hidden. They do not charge sales tax ( maybe that's why it so secretive) They don't take anything but cash or checks either. I found several Charm Pink and got them for 1.50 each, ans was ecstatic about them. I went back again and they had a few but they were in hanging baskets and were 9.00 (ouch) I didn't want to pay that. I went back again and found 4 more, that appeared to be freshly rooted cuttings. I am going to try and take cuttings and start some plants, so I can bring indoors this Winter. I really love them.

o

We just got back from Tallahassee where I was sure I could find my pink charm. No luck. I
suppose i'll have to wait till next season.
All was not lost however. Got to visit 2 new to me Goodwill thrift stores and came home with a toddler bed for my little grand daughter and it was only $16....

o

I have a gorgeous Pink Charm, it's about 3 feet long in a hanging basket in my greenhouse. It's green and white with pink flowers. If you haven't found one yet, check out my webstore in the spring-
www.gardensbykasha.ecrater.com. I hope to have some rooted by then! I'll post photos tomorrow of my begonia.

o

HEMC - those double semp blossoms in your picture, are they from 'Charm'? I have never seen any forms of "Charm" with double blossoms before this.

o

Woe, that is hCmc, not hEmc.

No the double blossoms are from another semp - either Lady Carol or Lady Frances? Whoops both of those are bronze leaf. It must be Cherry Blossom since the leaves are green.

o

Here's the Pink Charm photo I promised-
it's better than ever since I moved it into my greenhouse.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Accents for Home and Gardens has this for $4.95.

Hope this helps.

Susan

o

I've seen Charm at local nurseries, so look at some of them in your area.

o

I FOUND SOME! I was lucky enough to come across a small nursery on the other side of town and found a whole flat of small healthy plants. I bought five. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here