Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my begonia?

Posted by greybird_keke (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 11:44

It gets these brown spots on the leaf, then the leaf drops. I pulled the plant out of the pot, and the rootball looks fine...neither too wet nor too dry. It's putting out new growth, but is dropping leaves faster than it's replacing them. It has been in decline since late winter. I put it outside a couple of weeks ago, hoping that would help. So far it hasn't. Don't know what else to do for it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my begonia?

Not sure what is wrong with it other than it has something out of balance. If your stems and roots are healthy, remove the offending leaves and it should replace those in a short while. Often this is good for the health of the plant (I removed all the leaves of a small hydrangea last year due to spider mites or some other malady - it bushed out in a few weeks as though nothing had ever happened). If the roots are rotting then take some cuttings and start it over. Fresh potting mix often makes a big difference too.

o

I think a photo of the whole plant would help better

o

Thanks for the responses, I'm almost afraid it's something worse because many of my other begonias are affected as well. Teen, I would post a photo of the whole plant, but today I pruned nearly all of my begonias down to 3-4" from the soil. I'm going to give them a chance to come back out, and if the new leaves are not healthy, I guess I'm going to have to get rid of all of them. So this is the only other photo I have, which was taken before the pruning. I have a big cane nearly 4 feet tall, which only has leaves on the tip. I did not prune that one, because for the moment it's leaves look OK. I really to hate to lose all these, they were absolutely beautiful last fall.

o

Don't give up that easily. Cut them back, start the tops over, give them a good growing spot and water regularly. You might be surprised on how well they respond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here