Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchids41

Mail Order Begonias

orchids41
16 years ago

I asked on another thread for recommendations for mail ordering begonias. Will share what little experience I've had and, hopefully, some of you will jump in with yours. I just received an order from Kartuz within a week of having placed it. The plants were in perfect condition, btw. (canes: Lomita Lady, Miss Julie and Looking Glass; rhizomatous: Mr. Hunt) I've also ordered from Logees...not just begonias...and been pleased with their plants and service. Last week I bought a few rexes that came from Harmony at a sale in Apopka---Harmony Black Beauty, Harmony Pink Satin and Stained Glass. If you ever see their distinctive "flowering H" tags, snatch 'em up. Someone mentioned that they didn't think Palm Hammock in Miami was doing mail order anymore, but I corresponded with them this week, and they are still shipping plants. I went to their nursery once years ago and was blown away by the variety and beauty of their plants. If you ever get a chance to visit,it's a must for a begoniac. judy in sanford

Comments (2)

• hc mcdole
    16 years ago

Hi Judy,

I've ordered from the same places in the past and have had mixed results until this past year. Then I ordered from Kartuz, Plants for Kids, Rob's Violets, and Logees this winter (Jan I think) and they all delivered within a week. Logees blew me away because I ordered on Wednesday and had the plants on Saturday.

Antonelli's is doing canes and rhizomatous now but no pictures on their website. Their shipping was slow and they didn't have 5 I ordered (I ordered 24 different ones) so they subbed with my permission. It took over 8 weeks but they all came in pretty good condition.

Glasshouse Works continues to be an enigma. I've ordered from them for several years but last year it took over 3 months. My order this year has already been over 6 weeks and they say it may be two more weeks.

I have ordered from Palm Hammock in the past and they were slow and got some things wrong but maybe they've improved as some of the others have that I just mentioned. I've visited PHOE (Palm Hammock Orchid Estates) for the last two years and it is a treat to see so many varieties to pick from in one place. Hopefully I will visit Kartuz in September.

Accents for Home and Garden is very reasonable on prices and speedy on shipping. Not a large selection but it is another place to check out.

Lauray has a huge selection but is kind of slow in shipping and the plants are pretty small but the prices are okay. You may have to baby these until they get big enough to move up.

I wish Harmony grew and shipped on a regular basis. Being wholesale it is hard to find their plants but they are very well grown and very affordable. Our Ace Hardware has had shipments sporadically for the past 3 to 4 years so I scoff them up as soon as I can. The problem is they went out of business two years ago and then reopened under a new owner and I think they are going out of business again. I have bought some Harmony begonias (it is rather obvious) from a couple of eBay sellers as well but haven't seen them sell anymore begonias in months. Lastly our local begonia chapter bought 48 begonias from Harmony through a broker in Alabama. I was lucky to buy 7 of these at a pre-sale.

• orchids41
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Feel free to e-mail me a list if you have something in particular you're looking for from Harmony. I might just run across it/them on one of my plant sale/nursery hopping jaunts through Apopka and would be happy to mail plants to you. judy