Return to the Begonia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Powdery Mildew?

Posted by fredg78756 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 12:51

Bought this HUGE Allen Hodes last weekend and think this might have some powerdy mildew. Before I treat it, though, I'd like someone to confirm; no need putting something on my plants if it's not going to help, right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery Mildew?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Powdery Mildew?

Hard to tell on that picture Fred. Can you move in closer to the problem area? By the way, that is Art Hodes

o

Yes, I realized too late it was "Art" instead of "Allen" (though previously I thought it was Salamander). I'd have edited the post or deleted and reposted (I'm a part-time editor), the mistake bugged me so much. Here's a closeup:

o

By the way, some of the leaves' edges are paper-thin and have holes. I've removed those. The plant must have at least 6 rhizomes, so there's plenty of begonia to save.

o

I see no evidence of PM on this begonia. I don't remember ever seeing it on mine either. Typically PM hits rexes, Mallet canes, and canes with the big polka dots.

Try Milstop if you do have PM problems. It works great but the caveat is it isn't at your nursery store (yet) so buy it online. It comes in five pound buckets and is kind of high ($70 with S&H). You mix one tablespoon per gallon.

o

$70? Wow, it's cheaper to lose the plant eh? Thanks for you help, as always. I'll pop "Art" in the tub and let the shower run over him to see if this stuff just washes off. I truly wish I had someone nearby who I could trade rhizomes with. Between this and the Lorrain Closson, I have plenty to share!

o

Looks really nice Fred. I find the red, silver, and dark rexes the worst for PM. You can share Milstop with others. By the time you invest in lots of begonias, pots, soil, fertilizer, lights, etc., etc. you will find Milstop well worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Begonia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here